Daniella starts school Monday **Pics Added**

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Well, we met with the school on Friday and after chatting it over have decided to take her out of school for the time being by mutual consent.

After almost two weeks of trying she was still so terrified (crying and shaking the whole time) of being away from us that we decided she might end up with a phobia for life if we continued taking her each day.

We have no problem with the school, in fact they were great about everything and it's still where we want her to attend. But I think she needs a little more time and a few more months of age before we try again.

I think also as we are not really a 'conventional family' (both Mum and Dad are in the house all day, not out working) the separation issue is a little tougher as she's never had to experience it on a daily basis.

We have an orientation month in March, every Wednesday for 2 hours a day with us both present. Hopefully that will give her a more gentle introduction.

Looks like we have another "first day at school" to look forward to.

2. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good point about the separation issue. I dealt with that. In the US, we typically start Kindergarten for half-days at age five. Age six is first grade and so on from there. I was okay for kindergarten, at age five I was okay being gone for a couple of hours... but in first grade came problems. I would not easily return to class after lunch. I remember leaving the school grounds and going to a nearby house to call home. It got to the point where my mom would have to come into class with me and be like an assistant for the teacher for a while, then sneak away and I'd be okay. :oops:

3. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't worry, Steve, she is very young, every kid is different, and as you say, you are always both at home, it was even harder for her.

I think the Wednesday meetings are a very good idea. she will make friends, and perhaps, soon, SHE will ask you to go there everyday and without you... But, you know, this time comes too soon (when they live their own life and don't want you around). Enjoy this present time.

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice