Daniella starts school Monday **Pics Added**

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Drew, I know you would love Britanica for Zara when you see the set up and chat to the teachers.

As for the uniform thing, I think it's good. Far better than 2 yr olds running round in Man Utd or Arsenal shirts like you'd see in England. Dani is a fair few months older than Zara at 2 yrs 2 months, and hopefully joining a class where most of the kids have 6 months on her, so they're not under twos.

The uniform for her class is a plain grey/blue pinafore dress with white shoes (white training shoes on Wed + Fri for sports) that's it. It changes to the white logo shirt and tartan skirt the next years class, for kids 3+.

I'm interested, why do you think the uniform requirement has an influence on a kids education, and a criteria that may make you choose home schooling?

Long time no see, you keep not turning up at stuff. Have to chat more on this when we see you next.

2. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey!

Well.....how is schooling going Steve?

Did you take any pics of Dani in her uniform?

Come on! Do tell!!

Michelle

3. CancunChica

CancunChica Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oh my, she's getting so big! she's so pretty, looks like both you and Jannet. My son started school when he was 2 yrs and 2 months also, and he didn't know a word of English yet! (typical Miami style, lol!) My grandmother only spoke to him in Spanish and she was the only nanny i had for him before that. Anyway, he was speaking fluent English within 1 month, it was incredible how quickly they learn at that age. I'm sure Dani will learn Spanish quickly too being w/ all the other kids.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve - Do let us know how today went for Dani, we are waiting with baited breath.

As for uniforms I think that it does even things out. If one kid is rich and another not rich it's not obvious from what they wear to school.

On the other hand I think uniforms are silly. Especially in a country where so many poor people have trouble affording the books to send their kids to school. Why make poor parents pay for uniforms when that expense could mean they don't send a kid to school at all? That's f*cked imho. And I've met people who've given the expense of uniforms and books as the reason their teens are sitting home instead of in school.

I also object to making girls wear skirts. First of all, every time I've been sexually harassed I've been wearing a skirt (or a bathing suit). Forcing young girls into skirts is idiotic for that reason alone! And then when they wear skirts they are learning they they should be pretty rather than athletic or intelligent. It's a bunch of crap imho! Can you tell I was a tomboy when I was a girl...? If girls (or boys) WANT to wear skirts that's fine with me, but when a dress code forces a girl into a skirt I want to shove that dress code up the director's you know what...

I do think I've had a bit too much coffee today....

5. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't hold back now.

I agree. Shorts are much more practical for girls at kindergarten.

6. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve, we're waiting for an update on Dani's first day, and pictures please!

7. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Chicago public school kids have to wear uniforms as well. I do ALOT of volunteer work in the schools as well as tutor at a primarily hispanic elementary school. From what I've seen, it's pretty easy to tell which kids come from poor homes vs. middle class vs. upper class.

The poor ones always look dishoveled, uniforms look like they haven't been washed in a month of sundays, shoes very well worn and dirty.

The kids from the middle class homes always have clean uniforms, they take the time to either iron the uniform or send it to the cleaners, they have shoes that don't look too old and they have multiple pairs of shoes they wear.

The kids from the wealthyier homes actually accessorize. I've seen them wearing really nice watches, rings on their fingers, necklaces, hair clips, etc. They wear designer shoes and really try to turn the uniform into a fashions tatement.

I really don't think the uniform does anything but add to the cost of getting an education. I really feel for the poorer kids. I think they should get a set of uniforms free, just like some of them get free lunch if they fall below a certain income level.

As for forcing the girls to wear a skirt or dress, I think that is just WRONG!! I have a MAJOR issue with that. I was a tomboy as a kid and I still don't wear a dress unless I've got a jury trial or a hot date!

Michelle

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Ok, Ok, here's the pics.

Dani's first school day was a rainy one but she was very excited to wear her uniform and new shoes, we'd been talking to her about school all weekend. She seemed very proud as she walked down the path to the car, pulling her school bag behind her and clutching her teddy.

Once we got to the school she was fine until she suddenly realised that we weren't going in with her. Her face changed to one of fear and she started crying. Not much we could do other than let the teacher pick her up and walk away with her into the classroom.

We went back home and spent a very long hour and a half in an unusual kind of silence before returning to pick her up again.

We had a little chat with the teacher and it seemed she cried almost the whole time, bless her. She soon recovered back to her normal happy self though once we picked her up.

We asked her before she went to bed tonight if she was looking forward to school again tomorrow, to meet all her friends and see her teacher Miss Margarita "No gracias" was her reply.

Hoping tomorrow is not so traumatic for her, and us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. java

java Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very nice,cute girl Steve and Janet.Looks like she was having lots of fun.Congratulations. :)

10. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Steve
    she looks adorable.
    Don't stress too much about her crying - she will adjust and start looking forward to it.
    Love
    Tracey
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice