Dance Studio dance classes?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by heatandsun, Jul 22, 2008.

1. heatandsun

heatandsun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Mexican novio and I (non-Mexican) are interested in taking dance lessons. We're interested in various Latino-style dancing. We are middle-aged and work during the week days so evening or weekend classes would be best for us.

We're not looking for night clubs or dance halls, just a regular dance school, if that exists. I've done a search on several Cancun websites as well as Google, but nothing comes up other than tourist classes at resorts.

Does anyone know of a dance studio in Cancun where Latino classes are taught? (I can speak and understand Spanish so the classes can be in either language).

2. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know there is a dance school on Nader owned by Yvette and Yvonne - next to the Spanish school and opposite immigration - I don't know if it's just for kids or what they teach, but it might be worth checking out or they'll know where does….

I just found another place…If you want Salsa lessons, take Tulum towards Portillo…after San Francisco Telas, on the corner there is a pottery shop, above this there is a dance school owned by Cubans - supposed to be really good.

I seem to remember that the gym in Mercado 28 does some dance classes as well…

3. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I take salsa classes (well... mostly salsa and some other latin dances mixed-in), with a great Cuban teacher. His name is Vladimir, and honestly he is the ONLY person that I have found here that really teaches a class. And I tried several places. Always joking but always checking on everyone.

We are a nice friendly group of all ages, about half/half women/men. Depending on your level, you will go on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday 8 to 10 pm. And sometimes we go to a salsa discotheque on the weekend or for a quick dinner after the class (mostly when there is a game on TV).

If you want more information, send me a PM, I will explain to you where it is, will take you there or will put in touch with him. I will suggest him to advertise with Steve :lol:

Happy salsa :lotsofmichaelf:

4. heatandsun

heatandsun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you both for your replies. I will discuss with my partner and we will see when we can get there to check it out (we live on Isla Mujeres).

Thanks again!

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Studio on Nader

Hey Matt,

There are two studios on Nader that I can think of. I think the one you are referring to is across from Immigration. But I am not sure so I thought I would ask.

The other is across from Los Bisquits and it is called Talulah. For as long as I can remember it was owned by Elizabeth Duarte but I have not been there in a couple of years.

I used to be in that business in Florida and my daughter took classes at Talulah when she would come to Cancun with me.

6. heatandsun

heatandsun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I found this on the web about Talulah, but when I click on the link to their website, it does not come up, so maybe they are no longer in business. I will call later and check.

http://www.deflamenco.com/sitios/verSitio.jsp?codigo=2589

Thanks for the info, I'm still waiting to check it all out on my next trip to Cancun.

Sue

7. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Talulah is still in business. I was at Los Bisquits on Thursday. But if times get rough they have a bronze Villareal out frient that has to be worth north of $75,000 US based on other similar pieces I have seen. Same sculptor's work is outside at Kukulkan Mall and often on display and for sale inside, upstairs.

Talulah's is primarily a children's dance studio but it is certainly possible that they have adult classes as well. Ballet, the foundation of all dance, is the primary focus. Well, not of Hip Hop, I guess.

T.J.

8. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tahlula is open and does have classes for all ages, most of the classes are scheduled with the school year August to June but I am sure that they have adult classes year round.

9. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was curious and went to the website I had for them, www.talulah.com.mx and it cannot be accessed. Then I tried the number I had and it is not in existence, 884-1884. This is puzzling.

I had a large dance studio in Florida for about 10 years and we would visit Elizabeth and her beautiful studio often. They came to the US every year or so and performed at Disney World, Branson, MO and other venues. A real first class operation, although I must admit they were late getting to the internet, even with email.

Now I am curious. I have to go to the Radisson soon and am going to check it out. You are certainly correct about not offering year around classes. Many studios run their calendar to coincide with the public schools, but have short summer terms.

Since I will be out and about I am going to look for that rum at La Europea that Ron in Texas mentioned on another post.

My "public service" for July will then be completed, although I did eat at Iki twice early in the month, still not having met you.

Cheers,
    T.J.

10. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    LOL I don't go to Iki that often, my husband is there almost every night.
    I can never remember where the H is in Talulah.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice