Customs banned list????

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunTom, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +176 / 0
    Probably no sterno by air anyways. For some reason air authorities tend to frown on flammable liquids

2. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've posted this information a couple of times at TripAdvisor.

This is from a Mexican Customs pamphlet (specifically re foods) that we were given after they confiscated some kielbasa which was in a vacuumed packed packaging, LOL. Needless to say, I have it with us whenever we reenter Cancun.

ALLOWED:

Honey. [why anyone would bring it in is beyond me as Mexico has the best ever!]

Roasted coffee, dried prunes, preserved fruits and vegetables. [canned, vacuumed packed per personal experience]

Dry, cooked, packed and bottled foods (if not from 'risk' countries)

From the USA and Canada: Refrigerated, frozen, vacuum packed, pork and processed vacuum packed pate, milk and cheese. All must be in the original package and properly labeled.

REGULATED:

Poultry and poultry products.

Plants, fresh fruits, vegetables, flowers, raw cereals.

Fresh, dried, canned, smoked or frozen and meat products (sausages, ham, jerky) from quarantined countries.

PROHIBITED:

Homemade food items.

Meal of bone or meat.

It has been our experience that with ANY of the above, it all depends upon the Customs people at the time of entry. We have had kielbasa taken ONCE as mentioned above and bring it every time we go down. US Airways used to sell Beef Jerky on the plane as part of their 'Duty Free', so go figure. Last spring my husband brought two corned beefs down for St Patrick's Day!

What we have found to be consistent is IF they are screening baggage through Customs, we always get stopped and asked to show any canned goods. We bring B&M Baked Beans, Lesieur Baby Peas, french style string beans, chicken noodle soup, deviled ham and cream corn because we haven't been able to find them in any of the stores there. For the most part, anything else can be purchased right there in Cancun.

Couple of years ago, during the avian flu scare, we were there for Easter so I brought a couple of dozen Cadbury Cream Eggs to hand out and Customs stopped us and had to see them to make sure what they were. I was sure that they'd take them but I told them they were Easter 'regalas' and offered them a package which no one accepted!!

We also have brought in tools of all kinds, a vacuum cleaner, a floor and a wall steamer. We've even 'Fedexed' all kids of stuff, pictures, pots and pans, toilet seats and a chain saw without problems.

I guess the best thing I can offer is if you bring in foodstuffs, even OK things, be prepared to have it confiscated...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice