Customs banned list????

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunTom, Oct 3, 2010.

1. CancunTom

CancunTom Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Does anyone know if it's possible to download/obtain a list of what isn't allowed to be brought into Mexico by foreigners entering at the Cancun International Airport? Every time we have visitors they confiscate something being brought in for us. The last 4 trips my wife or I have have had some kind of confiscation. We've had so many cans of Corned beef hash confiscated we could open a store with that one item. Then there are things like a chew toy for our dog???? Even if we "green" light we are searched and they always find something to take. Sometimes we have had all our luggage searched twice. There must be a list somewhere that I can use to avoid buying things they forbid???? We are tired of wasting our money. How is one to know what is permitted and what isn't? We would be happy to comply if we could only know what not to try and bring in.
    How do the customs personnel know?
    They must be given a list????:aktion060:

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I wrote this about 6 years ago :) it was up to date then.

Cancun Airport | Cancun Airport Tips

Probably hasnt changed that much, I got the info from the back of the customs declaration form:

• Many food items - especially meats, plants, seeds, vegetables etc.
    • Cigars and cigarettes - more than 20 packs per person
    • Liquor and wine - more than 3 liters per person
    • Film or videocassettes - more than 12 rolls/cassettes
    • Medicine for personal use - you must have a prescription if you needed one to get the medicine in the first place
    You will always have problems with meat based products.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tom,
    See your PM's.
    T.J.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Is it a secret or something?

If you've got an answer to a question post it and help out others looking for similar information :banghead:

5. JohnB

JohnB Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife found this list two months ago...

Pasajeros - Which goods are prohibited? - SAT México

Not sure if anyone remembers the Garbage Pail Kids, but if you find yourself traveling with any of them (silly cards, if you are wondering), you may be in danger of having them confiscated.

6. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Personal luggage, permitted, duty free

Good work, John, and this list, for those things you can bring in with you, without incurring any customs duties.

Which items may be included in my personal luggage exempt from duty?

Goods for personal use, such as clothing, footwear and personal toiletries and beauty products, as long as they are appropriate for the duration of the trip, including wedding party items.

Two photographic cameras or video recorders, 12 rolls of film or videocassettes; photographic material; two cellular telephones or radio phones; a portatil typewriter; an electronic calendar; a portable computer (laptop), notebook, omnibook or similar items; a copier or portable printer; a portable projector, and their accessories.

Two sports equipment, four rods, three speedboats with or without sails and their accessories, trophies or recognitions, provided that they can be transported normally and commonly by the passenger, one stair climber and bicycle

A portable radio for the recording or reproduction of sound or mixed tapes; or a digital sound reproducer or portable reproducer of compact discs and a portable reproducer of DVD’s, such as a pair of portable speakers, and their accessories.

Five laser disks, 10 DVD disks, 30 compact disks (CD) or magnetic tapes (audiocassettes), for the reproduction of sound and five storage devices or memory cards for any electronic equipments.

Books, magazines and printed documents.

Five toys, —included those that are collectible— and a video game console and videogames.

One device that permits measurement of arterial pressure and one for glucose, as well as medications of personal use; in the case of psychotropics the medical prescription should be shown.

One set of binoculars and a telescope.

Valises, trunks and suitcases necessary for the movement of goods.

Passengers over 18 years of age, may introduce a maximum of up to 20 packs of cigarettes, 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco and up to three liters of alcoholic beverages, and six liters of wine; in excess of the above, cannot be imported without complying with applicable regulations and restrictions.

Baby travel accesories, such as strollers and baby-walkers

Two musical instruments and its accessories.

A camping tent and camping equipment, as well as their accessories.

Handicapped or old travelers may introduce items for personal use, useful to have a better performance of their activities, such as walkers, wheelchairs, crutches and canes.

A set of tools including its case, it might have a hand drill, wire cutters, wrenches, dices, screwdrivers, current cables, among others.

Beddings, that will be able to include a set of matching sheets and pillowcases, a set of towels, a set of bath, a set of table linen and a set of kitchen.

Up to two dogs or cats, maybe introduced as well as their accesories, provided that the corresponding zoosanitary import certificate issued by (SAGARPA) is presented to the customs officials.

For the complete menu of what you can bring in, and under what circumstances, see this page, and select the subject you're interested in-

http://www.aduanas.sat.gob.mx/aduana_mexico/2008/pasajeros/139_10178.html

7. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Immigration at the airport are being very very fussy about the the condition of passports.- Many people have been refused entry due to their passports not being in a good state.- only to be put back on the plane, board a new one to another tourist destination with no problems at all. Its not the best way to promote Mexico is it?

8. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow. This is all amazing to me. We've brought in so much stuff it isn't funny and I just assert myself and haven't had a problem. One year we had 12 pieces of baggage (one for each of us) and 6 carryons and 6 laptops. They were really ALL personal use (there are 6 of us in the family). I had at least one suitcase FULL of books (for my kids) and customs was amused with that but they saw our 4 kids standing there with us and I told them it was for their schoolwork (true). We had sewer hoses and lots of supplements and electrical stuff (at that time you couldn't get a lot of stuff here). There were 2 suitcases I wouldn't let them open as they were full of Xmas gifts for the kids but I did let them peek in (as long as the kids didn't see). Last time I was alone and brought my bike in and they REALLY wanted to tax that but I just gave them my "don't mess with me" attitude and told them they couldn't tax it and that it was used and just kept going on. They were a bit amused with all the bike parts I brought in but I told them it was for my bike and I rode alot yadda yadda and just kept insisting (while being nice) and didn't give them an opportunity to try anything. Last time we drove in we were PACKED to the GILLS and Aduana kept asking if it was all for personal use and I kept saying yes with the attitude of why are you wasting my time and they didn't even search. I've had them search before but I think the kids help a lot - they see 4 kids and quickly stop the search. Well, the US will search you to death but Mexico is a lot more humane.

9. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    We've found that anything that says beef or meat on it they want to hang on to. Beef flavored chew toys for dogs, corn beef hash, beef flavored soup... just argue that it's flavor not actual meat and most of the time you can get through.

Jamie

10. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Add to the list wall safes, drill bits, screwdrivers(in your checked luggage) wire cutters, hammers, nails, screws, tapemeasure among other tools.

Wonder if you can bring canned sterno for the camping gear?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice