Currency

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by TDiddy, Mar 3, 2009.

1. TDiddy

TDiddy Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Should we be taking currency in CDN or US down there to get changed in Pesos?

2. Dave & Audrey

Dave & Audrey Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I wouldn't do either. You can get pesos from your bank. Just ask. Then bring your debit card and use the atm down there to get more pesos.

Converting to US to convert again is just wasteful because you pay 2 exchange fees. And besides, they're Mexicans, they want $US about as much as us Canadians want $US. We'll take them if that's what's offered but a $CAN is a lot easier to spend here. Same as a peso is a lot easier to spend in Mexico.

When in Rome...

3. gutch

gutch Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't bother taking US $$. You're wasting money exchanging to US $.

You can buy a small amount of Pesos from your Canadian bank or a currency exchange place (airport, mall, etc.) in Canada then withdraw Pesos from a BANK ATM in Mexico or even an ATM at your hotel. You need a four-digit PIN though, not a six-digit.

I got the best exchange rate (even after the Plus System fee) from a bank ATM. I got the second best exchange rate using my VISA card. My local Canadian bank (RBC) gave just an OK exchange rate when I bought Pesos prior to leaving Canada. I won't be doing that again.

Don't use US dollars, you are not going to the States, you're going to Mexico. It is always best to use the currency of the country you are in, in my humble opinion.

4. davp22

davp22 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with bringing money from US or Can. We heard that they prefer to be tipped in something other than pesos since US or Can currency is worth more.

5. jayc72

jayc72 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some things like tours are expected to be paid in USD. My trip to Xcaret and our airport transfer can only be paid in USD. Does Steve take Pesos for his booze cruises? How about club excursions at night? If I recall they wanted USD.

So it all depends on what you are doing. If it is just pocket money, take it out of the ATM when you are there. But for other things the peso might not be the correct choice. Do not take CND, nobody wants that :)

6. gutch

gutch Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nobody complained about being tipped in Pesos. I tipped nearly exclusively in 20 and 50 peso notes (had a few US $1 bills, but not many). Given the choice of US$1 or 20 pesos I think they'd take the 20 pesos (about US$1.40) unless they can't do math.

I agree some things might require US dollars, but I didn't encounter any during my trip. Everyone was quite content to take my Pesos or my VISA card.

I agree that nobody wanted Canadian $ however the driver from the airport to Temptations obviously didn't refuse them since he had CDN $5 and $10 bills visible in his tip cup. I'm sure it's a pain to exchange them but they weren't refused.

7. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We've always taken USD. We have a friend at the bank that gets a better exchange rate. We try to stick to 20s and a lot of singles.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Yes, but the rate isnt great (the company that own the boat set the rate), better to pay with USD for the booze cruise. Credit cards are also accepted but there's a 5% fee - again not in my control.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice