Cuban Cigars

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Flyboy, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Flyboy

Flyboy Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As those of us who enjoy a good cigar all know that they are illegal in the states, but not Mexico.

Can anyone recommend a good reputable cigar shop that I can buy some good Cubans? I don't plan on bringing them back to the states, but I do plan on smoking them while I'm there.

2. Tinder

Tinder Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can get some on the beach at a reasonable price. Just look for the guys selling stuff as they walk by. Was there a couple of weeks ago and bought some Cohiba's, still in the box and sealed, 5 for $25. Had to negotiate on price but a lot cheaper than in the stores, where it is $10 for just one.

P.S. I did bring some back with me, didn't have any problem.

3. Bethy

Bethy Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did you take off the bands? Just wondering how you brought them back to the US.
    Did you fly in and out of St. Louis?

4. RoynSandy

RoynSandy Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    We bought some for friends last trip,packed them in our checked luggage had no problems at all.We purchased them at the market,price was pretty good.

5. Y & K

Y & K Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I vacationed in Cuba it was thought that 75% of the cigars offered on the street were counterfeit. I would expect the ones on the street in Mexico would be an even higher percentage of fakes. I guess it is worth putting a fake band on a 50 cent cigar if it can be sold for 5 bucks.

Moral: If you want real cubans, buy them from a tobacco shop but even then who knows for sure. Best to go vacation in Cuba and buy them right from the factory. Maybe get a Canadian to go for you!

6. Tempt me

Tempt me Enthusiast Registered Member

Between St. Louis, Memphis, Nashville & Indy
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They don't stop you at the airport when your caught with cigars anymore. After 9/11 and with these new passports with the computer chips they place a tracking device/chip in the luggage and then monitor the offender to see who his associates are. St. Louis is one of the worst airports to smuggle cigars through because they view it as a precersur to smuggling dope etc in Chicago, Detroit, Indy and Memphis. Wait until you try and leave the county the next time. You will be detained outside of the US for possible days. Very bad move!

7. W&K

W&K Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    The mall (can't rememember name right now...not la isla)...has a reputable cigar shop as does wal mart....cigars sold on the beach are usually counterfeit... and very dry....I was told that Cohiba does not package cigars in the small wooden box with the 3 or 5 cigars and that these are fakes. The cigar shop at the mall has a large walk-in humidor and has a very large selection. As a Canadian we can purchase cubans here and we can also legally bring them back in the country....up to 50 cigars if I remember my duty free allowances...

8. Bethy

Bethy Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just remember seeing someone in the mall wanting to know how soon the cigar shop would open because she needed to have the bands changed on her cigars so she could fly home with them that day.
    I didn't know they did that.
    I personally don't smoke cigars, but I thought Ryan might like to get a few and they'd be a neat gift to bring home.
    Certainly not worth a big hassle or any sort of risk. :shock:

9. Tinder

Tinder Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope, left the bands on. And yes, flew in and out of St. Louis.

10. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Go to the Cigar Aficionado website. They have a section there that lists reputable dealers throughout the world. I bought some Cohibas from their recommended shop in Playa and was very satisfied.

Keep in mind though that if you are buying real Cuban cigars down there, you will be paying a premium price. Well worth it in my opinion though.

Basically, 99% of the 'Cuban' cigars sold there are fake. Do the research and you can end up with the real deal.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice