Crime in Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by sharibaby67, Feb 4, 2009.

1. sharibaby67

sharibaby67 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been hearing a lot of disturbing news coming out of Mexico lately (kidnappings, drug related crimes, robberies of tourists). Is any of this happening in Cancun? I am going there in March (21-28th) and I am bringing my 15 yr old son. We are staying at The Royal Sands...do we have anything to be concerned about?

2. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    There is crime in cancun just like any city, BUT, most of the crimes in mexico you hear about ISNT in cancun, its rather in drug related cities like mexico city or the border towns. Cancuns hotel zone is one of the safest places I have ever visited. To be honest, I have NEVER had a problem there and have always felt MORE than safe. I too hear these drug killings and such, but you need to realize these are targeted individuals that are NOT in the cancun tourist zone or near there! Im sure you will hear the same from many other people.............. go to cancun, enjoy your time, you have nothing to worry about :lol:

3. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What he said.
    Just be aware like you would in any big city in the US.

4. chaz517

chaz517 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    agreed. the people being killed have done something to put themselves in that situation, and it takes place no where near the hotel zone

5. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes. Not because of the crime though. :lol:

6. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How tragic!

In today's Dallas News ...

General, 2 others found slain near Cancún

MEXICO CITY – The wave of drug violence sweeping across Mexico reached the popular tourist destination of Cancún on Tuesday with the slaying of an army general who was a top security adviser for the resort city.

The body of Brig. Gen. Mauro Enrique Tello Quiñónez and two other men were found in an SUV along a highway outside Cancún early Tuesday, police said. Their hands and feet were tied and their bodies sprayed with gunfire.

Cancún Mayor Gregorio Sánchez Martínez said that Tello was an "external adviser for public security" and that the bodies of his assistant – army Lt. Gertulio César Román Zuñiga – and a civilian were found alongside the general.

"We lament these acts and we reject them," Sánchez said. "We will continue with a firm hand combating crime. We will not be scared off. We will continue applying the policy of zero tolerance against crime."

Sánchez said Tello and the other men were slain "while carrying out their duties," but he did not provide details and did not take questions from reporters.

7. janie

janie Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  8. Vegas

Vegas Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are so many cops in the tourist zone, you really have nothing to worry about.

Unlike the US, they are there for you-not to find something to bust you for.

Even at night, I wouldn't worry about it. A little common sense goes a long ways.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Among those killed...
    He was the nephew of Cancun's mayor...he was also Executive Director of the BabyDoll stripclub/whorehouse in Plaza 21.

Very fine people.

"Cancun" means snakepit...and it's a name that fits.

10. LarsAmsterdam

LarsAmsterdam Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First at all i have been there already for 3 times. Wat i have noticed is that not the local people or the gangster are the one who trying to rip u, but the police. They have tried it once on me, and i have heard 2 others story's almost the same about that in the Hotel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice