Cozumel snorkeling?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by TravlGrl, Jul 22, 2007.

1. TravlGrl

TravlGrl Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We were in Cancun for Thanksgiving 2006, and our Cozumel snorkeling excursion was canceled due to high winds. We are headed back to Cancun this September 2007, and would like to try snorkeling again in Cozumel.

Rather than paying for an excursion, we'd like to go on our own. Can someone give pointers on the best method to handle this on our own? Or, should we pay a tour guide and buy an excursion?

Also, I've read about a couple of good locations, but was thinking about Chankanaab Bay. I've read that it's the best snorkel spot on the island. Would you folks agree or disagree with that? Anyway, let me know how you think we should go about a day in Cozumel from Cancun.

Thanks!

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    You can catch the bus to Playa del Carmen from the downtown Cancun bus station for about $5. From Playa del Carmen bus station the Cozumel Ferry is 5 minutes walk.

I snorkeled at Chankanaab and I didnt think it that great. But that was around 10 years ago!

I'm sure once you get off the ferry you'll be approached by all manner of people offering snorkel trips. You could either use one of them or set something up ahead of time via the 'net.

3. TravlGrl

TravlGrl Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ah, I didn't realize I could walk to the ferry from the PDC bus station. Excellent feedback. Thank you!

Is there a spot other than Chankanaab that you would recommend?

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I'm afraid I dont know Cozumel all that well. I've only been once and that was 10 years ago :)

Dive Pro?

5. Dive Pro

Dive Pro Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hola. Cozumel has a few spots but even Chakanab now offers the service but on guided tours. It has become like a park.I am also not that familiar for snorkeling from shore, usually we take snorkelers that have spouses or family on the dive boat, and the snorkelers go on another boat to snorkeling sights.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice