Covid-19 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Steve, Apr 18, 2020.

1. MandEOntario

MandEOntario Addict Registered Member

West of Toronto; Empty nesters with a hot tub
    Ratings:
    +2,674 / 4

Come on Steve. Not the same as the colloquial examples you cite. China is obviously mot known for it's ‘world famous apple juice’. The poor joke was clearly a shot, smacking of racism. Nothing at all to do with media Just one’s personal values and opinion. Perhaps we Cdns are too sensitive about avoiding perceptions of racism. Our preference is to err on the side of caution rather than condoning such references. And we also call people out if need be. It’s not about political correctness. It’s about doing what’s right in our view.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
  2. D&T

D&T Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +495 / 0
    Good call. So what would be the correct “calling out” IF, oh let’s use a random example, say the US president had pictures of him in blackface. Would a Canadian be really, really, really outraged or would they just accept his apology because he “seems” like a sincere guy.

Of course I’m just drunk texting right now so I’m asking for a friend.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  3. MandEOntario

MandEOntario Addict Registered Member

West of Toronto; Empty nesters with a hot tub
    Ratings:
    +2,674 / 4
    Hey, fully agree that Trudeau’s blackface was totally inappropriate and he paid the political price and embarrassment. We are not his fans in any case. But let’s not get into politics.

4. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam It's a matter of time, but time is all we have! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    All I can say is I win.
    Here we go again.
    I am not racist as I hate everybody the same.
    Keeps it a level playing field.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Cinnamonflixxx

Cinnamonflixxx Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 1
    I thought it was funny and didn’t see it as racist. The whole concept of a Covid cocktail is a joke. And it’s a joke that begs to include something about the origin of the virus. If the virus was known to originate in Canada you might make a cocktail with a hint of Maple syrup or if it was known to come from Florida it might be a cocktail with orange juice. Then again, it’s the sort of joke a racist person might make and coming from that intention would be offensive.

6. ging

ging Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +463 / 1
    You don't always get the same laugh from a joke. I see the attempt at humor, but the landing didn't stick with me, that's okay. The nationality component can be seen as gratuitous, and thats where I think someone can interpret it as racist or take it as veiled racism. However, I think the joke on its own doesn't have enough context to be convoyed as racist but could perhaps push the boundary, but a lot of good comedy does that, but with a lot more setup, empathy etc.

I would like to have seen a better attempt at tying in the arsenic ingredient with the Cyanide in apples or was that the joke? I dont know, maybe keep working it...

Cheers to whatever drink recipe we land on

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  7. FakeNewsTeam

FakeNewsTeam It's a matter of time, but time is all we have! Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,598 / 13
    I will leave my drink and humor up for discussion and debate.
    It was on topic and an answer to John’s hijacking the “serious?” thread topic on thoughts asking about related drinks.

The site is a little slow so doing my part with click bait for our man, Steve.

John...recall my comment a while back about 2 outta 2?;)

I find it interesting that the same folks always fall for the same bait...and if you happen to disagree, oh boy, watch out!

One of these days we will get back to TTR and Desire and think back and say, hey remember back in 2020 we lived thru that COVID thing and everybody was so opinionated and testy and...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. Cinnamonflixxx

Cinnamonflixxx Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +204 / 1
    By the time I make it to a fun, packed resort again the pandemic will be over and hopefully everyone will be all talked out of Covid-19 topics. Although spin-off subjects like how travel/work/consumer habits have changed might still be interesting.
    Also not judging the people who choose to go in the middle of this. I’m hoping for the best. In particular, I hope at risk people (older or health compromised) aren’t forced to work to serve vacationers. On the other hand, young healthy people should have the opportunity to go to work.

9. Restling

Restling I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,627 / 4
  10. Stacia_and_John

Stacia_and_John T&A Tour Guide Registered Member

Ratings:
    +4,611 / 14
    While I, personally, enjoyed reading that.. I did also note that the guy has written not one, but two Obama-bashing books. He may be a wee bit biased in his presentation, though I can't say I disagree with his facts if those numbers are right.

Wait. Do I agree with his facts if I can't find the link to the basis for his numbers? He didn't give me a link so how can I tell? Maybe more disinformation. Or is it uninformation... or perhaps dysinformation?

Regardless, his opinion & conclusion jive with mine. I may be wrong, could be. It has happened before.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice