Couplestravel.uk

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Southornormal2.0, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Patrick and Michelle

Patrick and Michelle Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    They were unaware of the company folding when I called them. I would recommend calling the resort 1-888-299-7705 and making them aware of your reservation and situation. They basically told me that they have to get payment from Couples Travel and that our reservations were still good. I imagine that if/when they don't get payment that they might cancel the reservation which is why I asked them to call me if any changes are going to be made. You would think they would still honor the price for the total booking since they had already agreed to that and will no longer have to pay Couples Travel the commission and let us handle getting back the money via chargebacks. If anyone gets a different story or different advice please post.

2. desnuda31

desnuda31 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0
    We eeceived same email today. TTR confirmed they have reservation but has not been paid from Couples. I'm not sure where to go from here. Also I used Transfer wise (which I've used in the past with no problems) Please post if anyone has a link to recoup money etc. Thanks

3. B&KfromNJ

B&KfromNJ Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0
    I just called the resort. Fortunately, Couples had paid the resort for our reservation so as it stands we are safe. Suffice to say, I will make follow up calls weekly to ensure there are no changes.

4. Wolfpack Couple

Wolfpack Couple Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0
    I just got off the phone with the resort. They did say that they still had my reservation and would honor it when Couples Travel makes the payment. I offered to make full payment to the resort at the same rate and she said that she could not accept any money from me because the deal was not with me it was with Couples Travel. The resort recommended to wait until 14 days before my travel to see if Couples Travel paid them any money. Well the Website is GONE and they are not making any payment to anyone in my opinion. What I ended up doing is having to forfeit may original booking with Couples Travel and booked with the resort directly. I already have the flights booked and taken time off I would rather pay the 450.00 more now to make sure I have a room. What would or will you guys do? Oh my other issue is I know April is a busy month so I didn't want to be left out in the cold.

I just got off the phone with my credit card company and they felt pretty good that I could get my full refund back. We will wait and see.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  5. DkandCristelli

DkandCristelli Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0
    We are in the same boat. We have booked for July and paid in full, but will give it a couple of days until I call the resort to see what’s going on, let them get their head around it all first. Seems like some people are ok and some are not.

6. Southornormal2.0

Southornormal2.0 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I called TTR and was told this:

Essentially they have heard nothing officially from Couplestravel.uk, so they do not really have a plan at this point. Generally, they give the third party until 14 days before to pay them. If they do not pay or advise TTR that they will not be paying, then they cancel the reservation.

The email I got clearly states they won't be paying, so I asked what I should do.

She said I had 2 options. 1) cancel my reservation and rebook. This would be ok except we booked a Tower room and anywhere I look there is a waiting list for those. The only rooms available are garden view. 2) She said our room is blocked off with our reservation as of now. She took my email and phone number and stated that once they hear something officially they will let me know. Then they will give me the first option to book the same room, but at the rack rate. Which of course will be more than I paid couplestravel.uk.

She did say their sales people are now (obviously) aware of this issue and are working to get a hold of couplestravel.uk to figure out what is going on. She stated they hope to have answers next week.

Mastercard was good to deal with (so far at least). Should have my money back in 3 weeks.

We didn't use TransferWise so I am not sure what the protocol is there.

7. blufforbust

blufforbust Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    We called our credit card company. We should get a full refund for our initial $2400 deposit. Then just rebooked directly with the resort. Going to Desire Rm in May. Cost us about $400 more.

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  9. matchandherbetterhalf

matchandherbetterhalf I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3,027 / 4
    OMG, really sorry to hear these stories, everyone. Last July I found a great deal on couplestravel.uk for April at TTR, but I read all the Draconian fine print and had a bad feeling about the site, so I got TTR to do a price match and I booked thru the resort instead. Your credit card company should refund your money...I just had to request a refund from my CC when my gym went out of business and it was no problem to get the refund.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I hope everyone's bookings work out.

Was never a fan of them myself, and not really surprised.

This isn't the first time their Directors have had a travel company go bust. This is at least the second time, and possibly the third. I remember researching the UK Companies House website a few years back.

They had a copycat website that copied the official website's look and feel in the hope that people would be duped into thinking they were on the official site and book via them. That site closed a while back.

Also offered free rooms and most likely commissions to various people to promote them, without either party disclosing as such.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice