Could someone please explain some bank things....

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Jun 27, 2007.

1. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Arrggg…. Steve, you gave a good advice once, I forgot to follow it and I have lost my long message!!! Let’s do it again, I think it is worth it.

So, I was saying more or less…

You are right Kelly, this board is very helpful for each other not only to advise how to solve our daily problems, but to highten each other spirits. Nowhere is paradise, there are good and bad sides, and it is not always easy to adjust. There is a balance and depending on your life you choose to live here or there. Not always an easy decision, and not easy to follow up either.

As for the banks, I had similar “bad” experiences when I arrived in Canada, because the laws are completely different. It was a shock when I learnt that you can issue a check and cancel it right away. I would have loved to get the same help! I almost lost the price of my car when I sold it! In France check=money, when issued, you MUST pay.

I was with Scotiabank a few years ago until Wilma, when I realized that I paid the seguro with my card, but the info couldn’t be entered electronically, it had to be done manually. It seems that nobody realized, actually even the manager of Scotia didn’t know, he had to call Mexico City!!! That has been a good excuse for them NOT TO PAY ONE CENTAVO for my damages. The insurance said, ha but we don’t have the policy paid.

Now I am at Banorte (and I asked them beforehand if that worked with them). I spent many hours with the manager to get the trick so that bloody “token” work, now I can pay Telmex and CFE online.

Martin, as obsolete as your stuff are, it seems you know how to use a computer and a phone':wink:' I don’t have 20 cards, just my 3 debit cards, one here (not for long, I was paying also with cash), one in the US, because, yes, sometimes it is good to get some advanced products (techno or medecines), and one in France.

M…

I have been told it was forbidden, and you could get money only through casa de cambio.

Cheer up, Guapa Mamacita, and don’t hesitate to ask, we are all in the same boat (those who live here, at least). And remember, don't put your expectations too high, don't ever assume anything. Right now, I am wondering if my building (where I own 2 apartments!) is legally registered! Another matter.

2. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do wire transfers into a Banorte a/c form overseas without any problem.

They even gave me a form with all the details required to trigger the transfer from the other end!

But as far as doing banking online here, there's NO WAY I'd do that.

I refuse it whenever the offer the option to me. You'd have to be nuts...

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All I can say is that at least with Scotiabank and Banamex you CAN check your balances on line, you can do seamless transfers in and out of the country, provided you have the exact information, and under duress, you can pay the odd bill on line too.

Last year we intenionally over-paid our CFE bill for one period because we knew we'd be away when the next one came. While we were away the next CFE bill arrived (email) and it was 800 pesos over what we assumed would be enough. I contacted them by email and was told too bad, pay up or we turn you off. Rather than call around to find a friend to lay out the 800 pesos, it was a simple matter to pay on line via Banamex. Unlike personal transfers, the payment was instantaneous, as verified by a return email from CFE within a half hour of the transaction. Of course CFE's rates are a whole other topic of discussion.

I'm not defending the banks down here, which are terrible in terms of speed (playing the float with your money) and have business practices straight out of Dickens, but you can, with a little work, get the system to function.

4. Viento

Viento Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Banking for people with US income.

Don't know about their on line bill pay, but the Santander on line banking is good for checking balances etc. I chose Santander because of their relationship with Bank of America. You can use Santander ATMs to withdraw from a BOA account with no fees. BOA also has a service called Safe Send that allows you to transfer money directly into a Santander account with no fee. You can send up to 3000 US per 30 day period with a maximum of 1500 at any one time. You just call the number and talk to a person and the transfer is done. The exchange rate is not the maximum, but they tell you what it is and I am willing to pay for convenience.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Panama, Canary Islands, the Caymens and a few $$ in the US or Canada for convenience. Forget the Mexican banks Cunuck. LOL

Pay your water bill a year in advance. Put the Cablemas on a credit card and pay what is left at OXXO when you are driving by one.

La vida es buena.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice