considering a move

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by gene37412, Oct 6, 2008.

1. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    after about 2 years here the wife and I and considering selling our apartment here in SM15 and getting out of the big city. We have been looking around down at Pureto Morelos but really don't know much about the area. Anyone got any thoughts on the area, prices as compared to Cancun etc....

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In Puerto Morelos, because of geography, it's easier to live a couple of blocks from the beach than in Cancun. I like the culture there also, there are lots of expats, there are some good restaurants, there's a good bookstore.

Personally I think the RE prices are a bit high, but I would not count on them coming down anytime soon. People really like living there I've got a good (honest) friend who has lived in PM for many years who is a real estate agent there. PM me if you want his cell number.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, development is rampant in PM but public services do not seem to be keeping up with the demand for them. They have torn up tons of enviromentally sensitive land, and I am not even a tree hugger.

The bookstore is only open half the year.

Speculators have driven real estate prices out of site. Flooding is nuts and should only get worse with all the impervious surfaces being constructed so less places for the stormwater to drain, into already nearly solid rock that doesn't drain well anyway.

I love PM but I would not want to live there. Talk to Frank Reems. I met him thru Scott W. and he is a good guy, and the de facto mayor of PM.

Just my two cents worth.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ is right that infrastructure is weak there. After Wilma PM was without services much, much longer than Cancun.

5. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    after a couple of weeks of research and a couple of trips to PM I think TJ hit the nail on the head. Prices are high, it seems as if new construction is going on with no regard to the eco system, and after being there just after a recent rain I was amazed at how easily flooding could occur.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Geno, don't bother running around and posting. Just call Rivergirl or me. We know it all.

Now I am going to go buy pesos/sell dollars.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice