Computer tech speaking english?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by jenleib, Dec 28, 2006.

1. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Would anyone know someone who could fix my problem?

I have two computers in network, through a router (a year old). Last month, I stayed without phone/internet for 12 days, and since this time, I cannot connect to Infinitum through the router. Either I connect the cable to the router and only my laptop is connected but on Wireless, and the desktop doesn't, and I cannot connect to infinitum. Or I plug the cable to the laptop and I connect, but still the poor desktop is alone and not working. :( :cry:

Of course Prodigy is of no help :mad:

My computers speak only english and some tech who came mixed some Spanish in them. I also have problems for sharing documents (the settings are done). :bawl: I am getting crazy!

I am sure there are some competent people around Cancun, just I don't know them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

2. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First question is, did this exact setup work before? If so continue below:

Assumptions:
    DSL modem is connected to phone line
    Router is connected to DSL modem through WAN port
    Computers are connected to router through LAN port(s) except for wireless, obviously

Actions:
    Turn everything off
    Turn on modem and wait until status lights are all green (I'm assuming you have the standard TelMex "2-Wire" brand modem)
    Turn on router
    WAIT 15 SECONDS
    Turn on Computers

Please report results
    If problem persists, brand and model of modem and router, please

3. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks a lot for your answer. Unfortunately...

Yes, this exact setup was working before.

I did what you suggested and nothing has changed. None of the computers can connect to Infinitum (I get that nightmare error 678 in both). The laptop is still on wireless. The desktop says Local Area Connection connected but received is at 0 and the speed at 10.0Mbps.

Modem: Speedstream 5200 (the small one). the 3 green lights are on (power, dsl, ethernet)
    Router: Lynksys Wireless G 2.4

I also tried before to change the cables with no result.

Sorry... :?

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Error 678 is the code for "the remote computer did not reply". This is confusing because you say you can connect to the Internet when a machine is plugged directly to the modem. If this is not true please correct me.

If it is true, someone has switched your modem out of "bridged mode". More about that later.

Also, check you PM.

5. jenleib

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

I just sent you a pm. I say error 678 is a nightmare because it means Infinitum doesn't want to hear about my computer, and I usually cannot do anything. I call them and they make me do different things until it works. It seems to be more luck than technique. Like when I get "a cable is unplugged". I know very well it is not true!!!

But they don't support computers in network. Yes I am connected but with Wireless, not Infinitum, thus only the laptop connects.

Thanks for your help

6. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You have quite an old DSL modem there.

But since when you plug the laptop into the DSL modem, everything works OK, it's clearly a router set up issue, and its certainly not Prodigy's fault and you don't want to involve them (as you see, it's not helpful).

I'd be doing a hard reset of the router, and going from there.

Does the desktop connect OK if you plug it straight into the DSL modem?

If not, you also have issues with your desktop set up as well. Windows config problem, not my bag.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice