Commercial Mexicana Fire

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Aug 16, 2007.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The CM on Tulum across from the bus station has been burning all night, looks like the smoke is finally diminishing. Just a heads up for drivers, it's a mess around there!

Anyone have any inside info on what happened?

2. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    quick look at a half-dozen on-line papers...nothing.

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope, nothing yet, it started in the middle of the night and you know how slow our news sources can be!

There was lots of smoke when I came in to work this morning but it is gone now. One of my students saw the flames last night around 2 am.

4. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wierd I live behind it and did not hear sirens or smell smoke, must have been downwind of us.

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes cunspin, it was totally blowing in the opposite direction, when my taxi hit Tankah or Uxmal on Chichen this morning is when we were inundated with smoke, we could barely breathe, so not headed towards Bonampak at all.

6. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I walked by CM about 45 minutes ago and it was a mess, still lots of smoke blowing across Tulum, big holes punched in the side of the building, fire fighters on the roof, Uxmal closed at Nader with police, fire fighters, press and gawkers. (I don't count, I HAD to walk by, lol!) I asked a security guard what had happened and he said he didn't know, but he did say that noone was hurt. Still frightening to see the bomberos on the roof after what happened at Las Americas. Hope they all stay safe.

7. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow!

We're behind Cunspin, and I didn't hear any sirens or smell smoke, and I was up until 3am.

Bummer. That was my local supermarket.

8. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes it was close but it was a DUMP! Hoefully they will flatten it and start from scratch it needed renovations bigtime. I think that this fire will was the only way they would remodel. No I did not have anything to do with it :p

9. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Admittedly it was a dump, but it was convenient in a milk emergency.

Here's a pic I snapped this morning....

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice