Climate change and the future of the Mayan Riviera Seminar

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sunday, August 12th, at 7:30pm there will be a presentation by Albert
    Bates sponsored by and taking place at the Caracol restaurant in Puerto Morelos on Sunday, August 12th, at 7:30pm there will be a presentation by Albert Bates sponsored by and taking place at the Caracol restaurant on CLIMATE CHANGE AND THE FUTURE OF RIVIERA MAYA. For details . For details go to http://www.vivapuertomorelos.com/caracolevent.html

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmmm...do we really want to know?

Isn't the future of the Riviera Maya that the whole Yucatan peninsula will be underwater because of sea levels rising?

3. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pretty much.

6 metre total sea level rise expected when the Antarctic ice slides into the Ocean IIRC. Or is it more? And Greenland? It's just a question of timing.

They could build canals to refill the Dead Sea and Caspian Sea and turn Death Valley and other low lying (and relatively unpopulated) areas into salt water lakes, in order to reduce the impact of the rising waters.

It's either that or goodbye Yucatan and much of Florida.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For the past 15 years I've been reading predictions in scientific journals for rising seas of between a half a meter and 8 meters.

The problem, of course, is that it's impossible to predict, at least right now. And the other problem is that all the people who don't want to hear it just think you are nuts when you say it...and all the scientists who publish their predictions are nuts too...and the moon is made of cheese...

Ten years from now I will be living at a much higher elevation, I know that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice