Cigarettes and Liquor

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by NicoleS, Mar 30, 2009.

1. NicoleS

NicoleS Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What are the laws about bringing cigarettes and liquor back to the states? Are there restrictions on how much we can bring back? As for cigarettes...if there is a limit can you mail them back to yourself over here? I have just heard that they are much cheaper over there than they are here in the states.

Thanks

2. cheribeth

cheribeth Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not sure the laws, but I did see people buying Cigs and Alcohol at the airport.. I think maybe its cheaper, because even the pilot for our plane purchased some alcohol..

3. TerryB

TerryB I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Two bottles per person, not sure about the cigs, but they sale large boxes( 3 or 4 cartons to a box) of them at the Duty Free shop at the airport. I have had my bags checked going into Mexico but never had them checked when returning to the US. Terry

4. Beverly

Beverly 2nd day member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can bring 2 - 1 litres of alcohol and 2 cartons of cigs each back to the states. We did one time buy what they call a suitcase of cigs (5 cartons in 1 box) customs at Cleveland told us that we actually wasn't allowed those without paying the tax, but let us go anyways. Never tried buying those again, but with the new price of cigs in Ohio, just might have to try it again this time since we fly in and out of Pittsburgh now.

When we were there in Oct., the cartons were either $24 or $28 each for Marlboro.

5. TerryB

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Plan on quiting when I return from Mexico, not paying 40 bucks a carton for cigs, would quit now but would eat every thing in site if I did. Thinking about going to N.C. and stocking up before we go to Mexico. Any of you guys from NC know what the price is there, only a few hours drive for us. Thanks. Terry

6. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just FYI :)

Some previous research I did found that only one state had a lower retail cost per pack of cigarettes than Missouri: Kentucky -- this was 2 years ago. Currently here, a carton of Marlboro's is between $41 and $45 .... so, I'm not sure you'll find them cheaper than that in North Carolina :(

Sorry to help derail the thread in general, but also many thanks for the useful information above!!

7. TerryB

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    They have always been cheaper in NC than here, not sure that is still the case. Missouri and Kentucky are to far to drive to. Why dont they just make the damn things illegal, but then they wouldn't make all that tax money! Terry

8. cheribeth

cheribeth Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I dont smoke but all I know is in NH Marlboro for a cart. is $47

9. Beverly

Beverly 2nd day member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ours just went up to $52 I think. Chris smokes vantage and they went to $5.70 a pack, so $57.00 a carton

10. nsexton

nsexton Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks guys for all the great info!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice