Chicken Stew will it kill?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by matkirk, Aug 4, 2008.

1. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Guys,

Quick question - I cooked a big pot of chicken and vegetable stew last night and set it on my kitchen table to cool down at about 9 pm, I then forgot about it and fell asleep and didn't put it in the fridge until this morning at 7am! It doesn't smell bad or anything but do you reckon it is o.k to eat - I'm a bit worried due to the heat here...

Do I throw it away or risk throwing up.... :cry:

2. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well all I can say is I know someone who did this with meatballs the other day. Cooked it about 6pm and it stayed out of the fridge until the next day at about the same time - it was then put into the freezer for a fast cool down and then transferred to the fridge.
    Needless to say I politely declined. Someone ate them and they were fine.
    But remember that bacteria multiplies real quick in these conditions so you are taking a risk if you eat it. Having said that, what's the difference between that and eating off a taco stand in the street where the meat is not chilled and left standing? It seems to be the norm here!

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you boil it long enough to kill the bacteria won't it be safe? Might not be very fresh-tasting though... If it were me I probably would decline to eat it again. If it were my husband he would boil the heck out of it and eat it and probably not die or anything...

4. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Guys

Yeah I'm skeptical I've left stuff out in England before but my kitchen was probably colder than the fridge - here I am not so sure…and I wasn't blessed with the 'Mexican' iron stomach.

Think I'm going to bin it - just seems such a waste of food…

5. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Come on, where is your sense of adventure????? :lol:

6. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Don't do it Matt. it's making me feel more sick right now and we can't both go down mate, too much exercise to do! I just had a week of hell due to dodgy bacteria and you know what that's like, you can come and eat pork chops round here instead. Give it the treatment it deserves, bin it, it ain't worth the risk. You could always give it to 'The Car-loss,' anyone that can drink Tequila and beer for breakfast then eat pork that's been frozen and defrosted twice and then sat in the fridge for 5 days, cooked and reheated for 1 minute in the microwave and not be sick can handle it, but not us with our weak English stomachs!

7. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    :chuck:
    don't do it.
    Tracy
    x

8. heatandsun

heatandsun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On Isla I would just dump it in the empty land across the street so the street animals could enjoy it and it wouldn't be wasted. Not sure you have that option in Cancun?

9. matkirk

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's like Eve and the Apple!!

It is undeniably a lovely looking, tantalizingly flavorsome stew at face value, however what dark secrets lie beneath the surface in its murky stewiness….only it holds the answers….to be continued!

10. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree, Gonzo! Where is your sense of adventure? :lol:

I lived 10 years in Africa (still alive and healthy). There they unfreeze-refreeze etc... meat 10 times (no other choice since when a boat was coming, it was with whole beef filet, entire lamb and we had to buy them like that then cut them to pieces, but of course not frozen!). I had been taught never to do it of course.

When we got there (husband, I and 2 babies), we brought from France all kind of products to desinfect and sterilize vegetables, fruits, and we were convinced the boy (local housekeeper) used them.... until we found them in a closet (we both worked all day). We have never been so healthy :D

You get immunized, don't be so afraid! ENJOY YOUR STEW, eat your apple! And it is only chicken, no pork (I wouldn't take the risk) :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice