Chichen Itza

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by royale, Feb 27, 2008.

1. royale

royale Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone went there before? Or the ruins in Tuluum is better?

[​IMG]

2. Tips The Cancun Legend

Tips The Cancun Legend Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I want to go

3. kyle119

kyle119 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    DEFINATELY worth going to if you get the time, only a couple hour drive from Cancun I think. Went there when I was down there in 2003, absolutely amazing if you're into history and such--even cool if you're not. Sucks that they closed the big pyramid down from climbing to the top now, I was lucky enough to do it when I saw it. I guess some lady fell to her death a couple years ago...pretty narrow steps too though.

Should make a day trip out of it, and come back right in time for more drinking!@

4. royale

royale Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sweet man. Is it easy to take the bus out there? Or better to do the tour thing?

5. kyle119

kyle119 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well we were on a charter bus that was all pre arranged, but they have the booths where you can get on a bus and ride over there. I was looking at the prices again the other day actually, thought about going again. I think steve the site owner put info up about it on his site even, and package deals. You can get one that's just walking around, or a tour with lunch, etc. Wellllll worth the cash though to see IMO

6. Kanuck26

Kanuck26 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Chichen Itza is a fantastic day trip. Its a long drive ( about 3 hours ), but in my view worth it.

There is a lot of walking to do when you're there, so wear good shoes, and take lotsa water, as its hot as hell.

The only downside was the peddlers. They are everywhere, but if you haggle, you can get some decent souvineers at a good price.

Book a tour instead of renting a car, or taking a bus. A big coach is far better than an old bus, or getting yourself lost in the midddle of Yucatan!!

Enjoy!

7. mormis

mormis I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i die to go!!!!!!!!! does anyone know if theres place for camping?

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Yeah it's a great place to visit..... once! Previous posters already gave some good info.

You can do it by public bus or by rental car. Thing is the public bus is not that frequent and with rental cars you'll have tolls to pay, gas to buy (it's around 250 miles round trip) and a good chance of getting lost and believe me you do not want to get lost out there!

There's info on the tours (prices start at $49 so it's not expensive) and some videos on my page below:
    http://www.cancuncare.com/Cancun_Tours/Chichen_Itza/

As others mentioned it's a very long day, and it's like an oven. Not a place to go with a hangover - but it is a wonder of the World!

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    You cant camp there (within the site itself) but there are some budget backpacker type hotels/hostels nearby. You can also do an overnight tour and stay at a decent hotel for just $99. Link is above.

10. mormis

mormis I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanx a lot!!!!!!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice