checking in

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by johndish, Apr 15, 2007.

1. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just wanted to say hello to all my cancun friends.

We are finally settled in and thought I would give a quick update on how we are doing.

We bought our house and hired labor in the states is every bit as unreliable if not more so than in cancun. We hired a painter who called himself a bid buster instead of a guy i had previously worked with. needless to say the bid buster did a shitty job, and was way late, worked when he wanted to had no respect for us.

We had our neighborhood garage sale yesterday. I was not there but, we sold a couple things and bought a couple things. I guess the neighborhood has an annual or biannual garage sale. A neighborhood nearby had one a couple weeks ago and we bought some great stuff.

Gas is nearly $3.00 a gallon, food is so expensive in the grocery and fast food.

We certainly don't hava a bonfil where we can buy tacos for 5 pesos..

We are happy in the u.s. but certainly miss Mexico. I think i was more tuned in with the politics while I lived in Mexico (thanks to Drew!).

Drew you will enjoy the fact that the university of florida faculty just voted against giving jeb bush an honorary degree....

we have high definition t.v. which is pretty cool although we really dont watch it. no problems with phone, internet.

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    John,

Glad you guys are well. I just had a call from an Orlando contractor/friend who has taken 2 months just to get me a quote on a kitchen remodel. Good thing I'm not in a hurry.

Two questions: Where are you in the US and did you keep your house in Cun?

Ciao,

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    John - Good to hear from you mate!

I was just saying today that the US is the best country in the world in which to go to garage sales...not that I have any real experience to base that on, it just sounds good given the vast resources there...gosh but do I ever miss my yard sales, I may move back just for that, or else fly up every Friday night so I can hit them on Saturday mornings...

4. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    t.j,

We are in ocoee which is 12 miles from downtown Orlando via a big ole toll road the 408 or via 50. We are also only 5 minutes from west oaks mall 15 minutes from Millenia via the turnpike...

The Garage sales are great what a great place to buy other peoples junk. We bought a giant slide and a basketball goal for the kids for like $10. Of course my wife accidentally sold our dvd player for a measly $15 but, such is life.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My husband once sold a fancy road bike that I had no intention of getting rid of. He let some Mexican girl take it for $15. I couldn't even begin to tell him how cool that bike was, it had all these high-end parts and weighed just ounces and it was the first thing I bought for myself when I got my first real job. All he knew was that I didn't ride it "enough", so out it went. Dirty bastard!

I got him back and sold a pressure cooker that he'd paid gobs of money for, I sold it for $5 to some other Mexicans. I showed him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice