Cheap Tix to DF

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Feb 12, 2009.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We just bought plane tickets on Mexicana for mid-March. They were $33 USD each way plus tax, in the end we paid $112 USD each RT. We've been watching prices for a while and this is a cheap fare. Just thought I would share the info in case anyone here had in mind to pop over to DF for a few days.

Anyone have suggestions for what to do while there? This is a pleasure trip and we will rent a car.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yup, that's on the list. Also want to see some museums and galleries. Probably will see the Frida Kahlo museum since she's the first artist who paintings I could identify. Will go see some churches, since you know we are SO religious (we both love churches).

What I really need to know is where to EAT? And I don't want Mexican food.

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ??? Whatever that means???

And you cannot identify with, or just identify, Diego Rivera's work? Go figure.

5. Alma Libre

Alma Libre Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow! What a deal.

We've never been, but the National Museum of Anthropology would be tops on our list, plus the murals by Rivera and Orozco.

Where are you going to stay?

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ - What that means is that I studied art history for many years. The first artist whose work I could ID, as in know who painted it when I had never seen the work before, was Frida Kahlo. Later I could ID the work of lots of artists.

And yes, I can identify Diego Rivera's work now, but I do not identify with it because it holds no meaning for me...probably because he was a womanizing pig and so I don't want his work to mean anything to me. But I digress, as is my M.O.

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, that's a great price. It's been too long since we've been to Puebla, this info could make hubby very happy, we'd just catch the shuttle from the airport. Tickets to Puebla have been so high, last I checked it would have been 12000 pesos for the three of us to go.

As to what to do in DF? I'll leave that to the pros.... :D

8. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think Orozco was better as a muralist anyway. Rivera was good, but a lot of it was hype. Then there was the issue of him as a person.........

Can't help with any recommendations. I do look forward to hearing about your trip when you get back though.

9. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A friend of mine found those tickets too!! Great deal. Other than Teotihuacan, the Castillo de Chapultepec (http://travel.webshots.com/album/153841357TvSokf )and the Basilica of Guadalupe, the only thing I might recommend is that the last time I went, I took a few days and drove to Cuernavaca and Tepoztlan http://travel.webshots.com/album/160914971CuwIpL

Of course down from Alameda park a little past Bellas Artes is the famous first SanbornĀ“s. Famous in itself but more famous for being beside the famous little one-lane street where the phrase "Mexican standoff" was created when supposedly 2 horse-drawn coaches met head on and neither would give way until the mayor came along a day later and ordered them both to back out of the street at the same pace so that neither would lose face.

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Rivergirl,

I knew there was some reason for your comment and was curious. I look at art for what I see, not for what kind of life the artist may have lead.

I personally like the works of Rivera and have visited the museum in DF on several occasions. To me he has a wide range of styles. I am certainly not an art history student; I just know if I like something or not.

But I remember hearing or reading that Rivera had some influence with Kahlo's style, particularly her venturing into self portraits.

Cheers,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice