Cheap phone calls UK - Mexico (1p min), Pls help Mexico - UK

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by SamCancun, Sep 9, 2007.

1. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As I hope lots of you from the UK are aware, you can call from the UK to
    Mexico now from as little as 1p, if your not, get your family or friends who call you to always check this site...

http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/index.php

choose 'Mexico' and away you go, you can get prices for mobiles in Mexico too, some don't work but we have used one for 3p a min for a long time, ever since BT charged me something like £1.68 a min (and you don't even want to know what it cost for a reverse charge from Mexico via BT!)

STEVE - if you want me to, I can update a post regulary with the lastest numbers, save everyone the work? Sorry if this is already on here, previously been discussed and i've missed it?

-------------------------------------

However, this leads me on to my question, does anyone know of anything similar in Mexico? If so, please direct me, otherwise can someone advise me of the cheapest possible way to call the UK from Cancun? I know they sell them phone cards but I was hoping there was a better way, any ideas anyone, is this on the forums somewhere???

2. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have you looked into getting Vonage? With their $24.95 a month package, you get unlimited calls to the UK. You do have to have high speed internet though.

3. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you, I didn't know you could get Vonage in Cancun? I have a friend in the US of A that uses it and raves about it. $24.95 sounds very good, does that include the high speed internet or is that on top, if so any idea of costs? Also what speed can you get in Mexico, do they do 8mb or even faster, i'm going to need a good connection for the work I do.

I'm gonna try and convince everyone to call me from the UK so I don't pay anyway!! :lol: There is also the option of internet phones, you don't know if there as easy to get in Cancun do you? That way I can call my friends in the UK that have computers and phones plugged into them for free! I have a friend who has an internet phone her in the UK who reckons he'll be able to call me on a landline in Mexico for nothing to, i'm waiting to find out more...

4. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Sam
    we use Skype to call the Uk.Its free and easy to use. We found a really good bargain Skype phone in the states - they are pricey here!
    Good Luck
    Tracey

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I never call the UK unless it's to call the bank, everyone I keep in touch with there calls me.

My family use http://www.call18866.co.uk/ which I think is 4p a minute. I'm sure it's possible to get cheaper but at less than a quid for a 20 minute call once a fortnight it's probably not worth the hassle of changing.

6. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cheers for the tips, does Skype not cost to call a landline in the UK then? I was trying to work it out from their website but it looked like it didn't work in Mexico only you can have a skype phone number so people can call you, could you give me a bit more detail or maybe just explain it to me when we meet for a game of tennis, i'm not in that much of a hurry, more important things to sort out like getting on a plane and renting my house out.

I looked into Vonage and there were some crazy stories accusing Telmex of restricting speeds to stop Voip working, hence people had to use their phone lines to make expensive long distance calls!

Steve, might be worth getting them to try these numbers

1pminute 1p/min
    (0844 721 7030)
    4CheapCalling 1p/min
    (0844 721 6040)
    DiscountDial 1p/min
    (0844 861 3030)

I know it doesn't cost much at 4p a min but if they work that cuts that part of their bill down 75% and all they have to do is dial that number first, wait for the voice and then dial your number, no registration or anything. The 1p a min numbers have only popped up in last few weeks to Mexico, before that cheapest I could get was 3p.

Anything to stop phone companies have money is it worth it in my opinion, especially Vodafone!

7. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And for calling mobiles in Mexico, haven't tried any of these yet.

Jajah 2.6p/min
    AbroadPhone 5p/min
    (0844 452 9010)
    1pminute 6p/min
    (0871 759 7030)
    4CheapCalling 6p/min
    (0871 759 6040)
    05pence 7p/min
    (0871 779 0505)

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Cheers Sam, I'll let them know. I pay my Mum's bill anyway so it might save me something too.

9. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    no problem and with the savings you can buy me beer :wink:

10. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And what am I doing up at 3am posting on here you may ask? Unable to sleep, looking forward to my new life in Cancun in only 17 days and counting (slowly!). :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice