Chaise lounge hogging, what say you?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by 212eric, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    can't speak for other resorts but at BBG if security walks aroudn and sees things on thre chairs anytime before 7am theyare suppose to remove them and bring the things tothe front desk.

After that, if the chair is unoccupied for an hour they are suppose to remover the items. Most likely, if a person is in the pool or the ocean they wil come back to their chair for something within an hour period (or so BBG thinks) and then they have no problem.

They don't need to sit on the chair all day but they do need to be seen using it occasionally in order to keep it.

2. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I see a problem with BBG's policy if I ever stayed there. I am up at 5:30/6:00 to watch the sunrise and leave all my stuff (not just a shoe or a towel) on my chair & table, then I go for my morning walk that lasts 45 minutes. I then return to my chair for 1/2 hour or so to relax before heading back to room for breakfast. I would be upset if they took my stuff away before I returned because it would be before 7:00.

Do they distinquish at all between what is just a "claimed" chair and people that have just stepped away for a few minutes before 7:00 am?

3. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sure...

The point of it is to keep people from putting their stuff out as they return home from the clubs and then head to bed for several hours.

If you set your stuff out and don't totally disappear and are actually using your chair no one is going to take your stuff to the front desk.

4. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Naoautorizada, your plan seems noble enough but perhaps too much involved to make it practical. I think I like the BBG plan better, it seems more straight forward to me.

212eric

5. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Understood.

If we were starting from scratch, one could just leave the chairs in place and put up the lockers and signs which explain that any unattended items will be routinely collected and removed (like at the airport!), but with the history of people's habits to work against, the complication of removing the chairs is probably necessary at this point.

Allowing the status quo to remain (i.e. leaving the chairs in place and arbitrarily and randomly enforcing rule-based solutions as is done today) means that you'll continue to see (and experience) all of the same problems as you've been reading about in this thread

In a competitive world, the difference between those who embrace good solutions vs solutions where the only redeeming value is simplicity - generally serves to differentiate those that prosper from those that do not.

6. xoie's omah

xoie's omah Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In January at BBG chairs were being pulled up from the beach to fill in any available space around the pool. The problem was there were chairs that had the same towel with the same book on it every single day we were there that were never used before 2 pm that should have been available. I will say there were some very polite people there though that were more than willing to give up the chair their friend never sat in when they saw me limping up to the pool area with a broken foot. During the peak season, I admit, it can be frustrating to see all the unoccupied chairs around the pool and while we were there there were days it was way too windy to sit on the beach unless you wanted to be pelted by sand. I don't know if it is a problem that can really be resolved without angering people...which no commercial business wants to do.

7. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    xoie's omah, I'm sorry to hear about your broken foot. That's great that people at the BBG were sypathetic to your sitaution and helped you out.

As for the resorts solving the problem without angering people, a simple but effective first step might be to purchase more lounge chairs? I don't know, it's just a thought.

212eric

8. vrodgers

vrodgers Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apparently there was a story on this topic this morning on NBC's Today show, but I had to leave for work before it aired. Did anyone catch it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice