CFE, new pain

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 17, 2014.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The CFE has introduced an entirely new way to process (us) our use of electricity. It involves a card which they will leave near your meter. It is for your exclusive use only, and mustn't be lost, so watch for it.

Using this card the meter will tell it how much you've used, and owe, and then you must go to CFE, or use the CFE automats to pay. After that, you return to your meter and the card will tell the meter you've paid. Otherwise it will automatically suspend service. This must be done once a month.

There will be no more bills, nor the options of paying online, at OXXO, or at banks. There will also no longer be the option of paying in advance, and owing nothing, because the "card" won't know you've done it.

For anyone who cannot believe they would burden us in the new way, here's the source- Preguntas frecuentes

After quickly going over the Q&A you can then go to the "instructivo" which will tell you in detail what you're going to have to do.

2. wild1s

wild1s Naughty 'n Nice Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3,878 / 9
    You would think that if the system was that smart, you could do it on line!

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Ridiculous system! One step forward, two steps back.

They put ours in while we were away in the UK and never left a note to tell us. It was only when the power went out that we found out. Now you have to pay every month instead of every two months.

Cant pay online, OXXO's are supposed to be able to take payment but haven't been set up with the processing facilities. So, the whole city joins the line to pay at CFE.

I liked the old paper bills, that at least showed what consumption you had used and the price per KW, now the bill could be 5,000 or 50,000 and I wouldn't know whether it was anywhere near right, just have to pay it or no power. And no other power providers to choose from, one option that's it.

4. float

float Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I guess I missed it but what has that got to do with Cancun Care? Just saying....

5. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    This thread is in the Living in Cancun section.

6. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Guys,

You don't have to have the new system, it is not compulsory. Plus you have to sign for them to change your meter. They are not allowed to do it without your consent.

They came to my house and I just told them "no thanks" and they went away, it's not something you have to have.

All you need to do (if you have time) is pop to CFE and tell them to change it back or ask them to show you where your signature is to approve it.

A girl at work had the same thing, and they just switched it back with minimal hassle (well you have to be strong in the CFE office)

Suppose it depends how much of an inconvenience it is? I like paying online every two months and don't want the card, so for me it's worth keeping it the old way (which I'm entirely entitled to do).

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sure hope that's the case, Mat. Having to be here every month to deal with this, or finding someone else to take care of it while I was out of town, including paying the bill, would be a pain.

I also like getting a detailed bill, so I can see what, and for what, I'm being charged.

This new system would suck for me.

8. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yep, I'm 100% sure it is 100% not obligatory :)

Don't sign and tell them no thanks....job done :)

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Mat, at least one friend of mine, who lives in a gated community, has said that to make it easier to collect the permission they need representatives of the CFE had gone to administrators of condos and gated communities, asking that the administrator give permission for the entire complex.

This may be what happened at our place. I'm going to the CFE tomorrow.

10. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    They definitely changed ours without consent, we were in England when they did it.

Maybe the nanny or security gave them permission, but as the people with our name on the bill we definitely didn't.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice