Center of the Hockey Universe

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by twinimini, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Sheandme

Sheandme Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Brewster, Flames/Oilers? Try being an Islanders fan!! Better chance of seeing God than a Stanley cup!! Living in So. Florida for 3 months (Hi 82/lo a brisk 58) I have become a Panthers fan, nice arena. Going again on the 11th, they play
    Washington, get to see Ovechkin. Bad thing here is if you ask for a hockey game to be put on a tv, they think u r crazy, heat and dolphins r big here! Actually boxing, hockey and baseball r MY favorite sports!! TC, John

2. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

Ouch!!! Islander Fans?? That's almost as bad as being a Buffalo Bills fan. With us the Sabres are up one year, down the next. We just get used to the see/saw that comes with being a Sabres fan.

Tonight will be the biggie between Canada and the US. I would bet that the Arena will be rocking with a mostly Canadian crowd. It should be a great game and I hope it is on one of the Canadian stations because none of the US stations are carrying the games. The only downside to watching it on the Canadian stations is that it is not in high definition. I will have to watch Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday to see what Don Cherry thinks about the outcome, no matter what it might be.

Good luck to the Red and White and to the Red, White and Blue.

3. Bonez

Bonez Addict Registered Member

The true birthplace of the greatest sport on froze
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    TSN always carries the games and they do broadcast in high def if you subscribe

4. 2Canuckz

2Canuckz Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Looking good so far!! :)

5. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Congrats to Canada. Good luck in the Gold medal game against the Russians. Funny, but early on no one expected the Russians to be there at the end, but here they are playing for the gold. US and Sweden for the Bronze. Still, all in all, it was a great tourney and I hope the fans and the players all enjoyed themselves in our little corner of the world.

6. Bonez

Bonez Addict Registered Member

The true birthplace of the greatest sport on froze
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    On your home turf sorry!

7. Brewster

Brewster I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks Ed :)

Yeah... weird that the Russians end up in the Gold medal game. Should have been either the U.S. or Swedes.

All in all a great tournament with outstanding hockey talent from all over the world.

8. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

Anyone who has ever been involved in travel hockey knows that hockey is, and always will be, Canada's sport. Here in the States hockey has come a long ways, but we will still never quite measure up to the passion that the sport has in Canada. As my son was growing up and we would head out across the Peace Bridge into Toronto or Montreal or London or Windsor or wherever we may go in Canada, we knew we were going to be in for some tough hockey games. If we were lucky we might eake out a victory or two but it would be that very rare occasion when we came out with the tournament winner's trophy.

I guess the best example of hockey in Canada is one we came across years ago. We were on a vacation out west and we were driving across rural Saskatchewan and in the middle of these massive wheat fields stood a tiny town. I don't remember the name of the place but I do remember there were about six or eight houses, three grain elevators, and a hockey rink. Enough said!

I have no illusions about hockey here in the US. Along the border we may try to be the best, but the passion isn't there like it is across the river. Hats off to my fellow hockey fans across the border and may the gold be in your possession soon.

9. LabradorCouple2732

LabradorCouple2732 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    By the look of the crowd, the game was in Buffalo, Ontario last night....lol

10. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    The crowd was so pro-Canadian that they started to chant "This is our house!" The games didn't draw the US fans as much as had been hoped. When you consider that something like 40% of the population of the US lives within a 600 mile radius of Buffalo, it is surprising that there was so little interest here in the US. My guess is that most folks who live south of Pittsburgh have no idea what the World Juniors is about. Too bad because they missed out on some great hockey. Maybe they look on hockey the same way I look on soccer....it's just not my sport.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice