Cenotes / Ik-Kil

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by rockrgrrrl, Nov 28, 2008.

1. rockrgrrrl

rockrgrrrl I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Last year, my boyfriend and I did a cenote tour with our Chichen Itza package. We really want to go back to Ik-Kil, but not necessarily Chichen Itza. I was wondering, are there any similar cenotes that are closer to Cancun? Where can I book just a trip to Ik-Kil or a cenote?

2. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you go to the bottom of this page and click on the Entertainment plus ad. He has all sorts of tour options. I have used his service several times.

If you do order from Entertainment plus be sure to use the link from here as the owner of this board gets a little money if you order a tour, helping to keep this site running. :D

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You don't have to go that far to find cenotes, there are a lot of them down the main highway towards Tulum. "Hidden Worlds" is one of the more popular destinations for cenotes. You can check to see if Steve has a tour on his links below. If not, Google it! :D

4. Susan from Cowtown

Susan from Cowtown Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would like to know more about Ik Kil. I saw it on a story Martha Stewart did about the Yucatan. It looks amazing. It looks very deep and full of vines lining the outside. How do you get in it to swim? Is it someplace you can visit on your own or do you need a guide? I have seen many cenotes in the Yucatan, I would love more on this cenote. I think I need to add it to my bucket list!
    Thanks in advance.

5. rockrgrrrl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went on a Chichen Itza trip last year that stopped at Ik Kil. There's a spot on the rocks that you can jump off into the water and swim.

6. rockrgrrrl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone know if there's an easy way to get to Ik Kil from Cancun, like by bus from downtown?

7. rockrgrrrl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bumping this up because hasn't been answered. Anyone know how to get to Ik Kil from Cancun? Anyone know anything about Hidden Worlds too or been there? It looks impossible to get to though, unless you rent a car.

8. laydeedubbduce

laydeedubbduce Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I actually would llike to know the same, anyone know a place similar to the cenotes by Chichen Itza??

9. madao

madao Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hidden Worlds is good, and you can do some other activity stuff there too now which they didnt have when I went about 5 years ago, I just snorkled in on of the Cenotes there. Compared to Ik Kil it wasnt so great for swiming in but to get in was through a tiny hole in the ground, cant remember if there was a steep ladder of if we were winched down, and the jungle buggy ride through the jungle to get there was fun too.

I was staying very close to the place though at the Bahia Principe, rather than in Cancun. Probably not worth making the trip, unless you hire a car and go to Xel-Ha or a bit further to Tulum to see the runis there at the same time.

Im going back to Cancun next month and going to book a trip with http://www.selvatica.com.mx/ as their activities look fun and will still gove you a Cenote experience too.

Ik Kil is ah-mazing to see as you know, but it seems quite a punt just to go for a swim if your not planning on seeing the runis again too, and isnt half the fun going somewhere you havent been before too??

10. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    There is a really nice cenote at Ek Balam- on the road to Valladolid,(closer than Chichen). Its has abseiling access and stairs for those who like myself are scared of heights. Ek Balam also has Mayan ruins and a nice bike ride(you hire them there) down to the cenote.Its one of our favourite days out from Cancun.
    Have a great time
    Tracey

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice