Cellular Service FUBAR?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by mixz1, Nov 3, 2007.

1. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have 3 cell phones. Service in the car (wired interface with external antenna) is fine. Both handhelds not working. I drove over to the TelCel office in La Isla. There were lots of people in the same situation. I was told that the flooding in Tabasco and environs has wiped out a TelCel datacenter and they're having problems re-routing traffic. I could mention lack of backup here, but I won't :) . Meanwhile, they can't sell any phones because they can't activate them and Amigo customers can't register new fichas and you can't check your balance online.

The service failures are arbitrary, as evidenced by my car phone working and some of my neighbors having service while others don't. Of course the TelCel web page mentions nothing.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Service seems to go up and down, but has been mainly down in the last 2 days for me. I've been able to make 2 calls, out of the 20 or so I've tried to make in the last 48 hours. And my phone has rung exactly once, and that call was cut off after a few minutes (fortunately AFTER I wished the caller HAppy Birthday).

Anyone with a Telcel plan should be sure to ask for a refund for these days. But those of us using the prepaid cards just get to put up with crappy service...

This does make me realize how often I use my cell phone (all the time).

3. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thankfully no one ever calls me.

:D

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just in the last hour my service seems to be back and working, just when I was getting used to no phone...

When I moved here no one called me either. Now...I wish they'd leave me alone...well, not really. But it would be good if I could get paid to talk on the phone and answer email. That would be a proper career for me.

5. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't know what happened around Valladolid, but on Friday, they could make calls with no charges!

My sister-in-law had no credit whatsover and was able to call hubby here in the States and talk for two hours for free!

6. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    All TelCel calls are supposedly free today, I heard from a friend with verrrrry few minutes to his name!

7. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    2 days with no service then I find out free calls available a day too late! :(
    Glad we are now back on track- it was a nightmare.
    Tracey
    x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice