Cell phone service in Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Paulanddebbie, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Paulanddebbie

Paulanddebbie Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can anyone tell me what cell phones work in Cancun?

I need to call back to USA at least 8-10 times a day what's the best option :?:

2. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Assuming you already own a cell phone, it would be best to contact your service provider and ask them if the phone you have can operate in Cancun and what the protocal is to set up service for when you get there.

Most times it's just a matter of them pushing a button to activate service in Mexico for you and then charging you whatever rate they offer that you choose to go with.

To list every service provider that offers service would be quite burdensome.

Michelle

3. urefinneJ

urefinneJ Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    check Mexitel.net
    $1 per call to the US (up to 20 minutes, then another $1)
    used them last year - dependable and cheap

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Most US carriers provide service in Cancun with your US cell phone, through what they call "roaming partners." Most of them charge $1.49 per minute, plus taxes of about 22%. The charges appear on your US bililng statement. I think Nextel has much cheaper costs as they provide service here. In other words, if you live here and want a cell phone, they are one of your options.

When you turn on your phone here it will locate the servicd provider and your phone will read TELCEL, or USACEL or MOVISTAR, not that it matters as you are only using their network.

To dial local number, you just dial the 7 digits. To dial a cell, you have to dial 10 digits, the first three being the city code of who you are dialing. For a Cancun cell that would be 998. To call the US you have to dial 001, then your area code and number.

If you feel you need to be using your cell phone here it is cheaper and easier to rent one from www.cancunvalet.com. The phone is delivered to you at your hotel or at the airport if you use their private transportation service. I think the current rate is $.69 US per minute and you only get per second billing, so a 30 second call it is $.35. The cost also INCLUDES taxes. Last time I checked there was a $10 setup and delivery charge and a minimum charge of $5 per day for the number of days you use the phone. It is NOT $5 every single day. Rather if you rent the phone for a week it is $35. You can order online and they will program in up to 10 numbers into Speed Dial for you. You can call within Mexico, to the US and to Canada for this rate. Check out their website. When I used to be a tourist I always rented a phone from Victor.

5. Paulanddebbie

Paulanddebbie Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info!

6. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have heard of Mexitel. It is really $1 for 20 minutes, and it can be delivered to your hotel too or to your place in the US.

You should check www. Mexitel.com.

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mexitel?????

I am pretty sure that website is a pay per click site that just takes you to a variety of other websites and when you click on them the Mexitel site owner gets a small fee, and the linked site pays a fee.

I have never heard of a phone company called Mexitel although I don't admit to knowing everything - just most things. LOL

8. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    sorry, it is www.Mexitel.net.

I don't know TJ, I am pretty sure about the fee, but maybe you can go and check and let me know what you think about it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice