Castor Sugar?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by matkirk, Nov 3, 2008.

1. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi All,

Anyone know where I can buy Castor Sugar here? If not apparantley if you grind regular sugar in the blender is comes out the same?

And also dried yeast - levadura seca - do they sell it in walmart etc???

Thanks in advance.... :)

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What is Castor Sugar? Is that a Brit name for Confectioner's Sugar (the powdery one)? If so I have not seen it here...but I could have missed it...

3. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And I'm also wondering about corn starch :roll:

Can't find it here, but I might be looking in the wrong places

4. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If castor sugar is confectioners sugar or powdered sugar then, yes they have it at Wal-Mart and Soriana it's call azucar glass.

They also have cornstarch it is called fécula de maiz...sorry don't remember where I bought it....just write it down and show it to a worker and they will usually rummage around find what you need.

I have seen yeast at one or more of the stores by where the baking stuff like baking powder is located.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A common brand of cornstarch is Maizena, yellow box in the flour aisle. They have it all over, it's easy to find.

6. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I found this

Sugar translation from English to Gringlish

Granulated sugar = granulated sugar, white sugar
    Castor sugar = superfine granulated sugar
    Caster sugar = superfine granulated sugar
    Icing sugar = confectioners' sugar, powdered sugar, 10X sugar, 4X sugar
    Sugar crystals, crystal sugar = decorating sugar, coarse sugar
    Rainbow sugar crystals = colored sugar

Man - I must be bored today!! :?

7. Sapphire

Sapphire Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Castor sugar

castor sugar is much finer and lighter than reg sugar. I have never seen it here in cancun. I have looked several times when I thought I would try and make a cake from scratch.

8. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Castor sugar is sold as glass sugar. Walmart and Soriana stock it.
    Yeast is levadura. Soriana stocks 3 kinds. If you're baking bread, avoid the red and yellow cardboard box with tinfoil envelopes inside. The rise times are silly.

The other 2 packages are small pouches, from the same maker, one red & white, the other blue & white. I've had my best success with the blue & white pouch. One warning is that after you open the pouch, you must re-seal it tightly and refrigerate it or you'll be making matzoh the next time. Don't ask me how I know.

Speaking of know, it's been about 3 months since I baked any bread (too hot and bread doesn't like A/C) and I have forgotten the manufacturers' names and can only reference the color of the packages. Sorry.

Fleischmans has a Mexican distribution, but I've never seen it here in Cancun. As I recall the yeast I'm talking about is produced by a division of one of the breweries. That sort of figures, no?

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've noticed that you can now get Fructose here, it didn't used to be available but I've seen it at Soriana. It's great for sweetening fruit desserts, I think it's better than reg sugar for that.

10. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks all, for the cornstarch info

But while we're on the subject of baking (which I know next to nothing about) does anyone here make pies with merangue? If so, what do you do to prevent a bunch of sweet liquid from forming between the filling and the merangue?

I used to make a mean Key Lime pie when I lived in the Keys....except for that stupid sugar syrup that inundated the bottom of the pie pan, after a few slices were removed. I was thinking it was a "humidity" thing, and since the Keys and Cancun share roughly the same climate...well maybe someone here has some experience with that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice