Cars ?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by je007, Dec 2, 2013.

1. je007

je007 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so can I buy a used car and drive it here in cancun? I have 180 day card ,guy said I can buy his car and just sighn the papers and drive it. what ? any know whats up. I need transpo! lol

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    As far as I understand you cant register a car if you only have a tourist visa. You can certainly hand over the cash to buy one, but driving it legally is a different matter!

3. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We purchased a Mexican plated vehicle while we held FM3's then found out we could not register it in our name as the law had changed. We are lucky enough to have a dear Mexican friend who offered to register it in their name for us. The ownership title is in our name, the registration and insurance policy is in the friend's name. Both my husband, with the title showing his ownership, and our friend went to do the registration with no problems or concerns at the Registry.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. je007

je007 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks

I think I will just avoid that whole car situation.

5. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Copies of all the paperwork, title showing ownership, registration and insurance coverage are kept in the vehicle at all times.

According to our insurance Agent, there shouldn't be any problems with who may be driving even in case of an accident.

ETA:

<U>
    • </U>

http://www.chapalaclub.com/2011/06/mexican-plated-car-usa-plated-car/

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  6. tristan1749

tristan1749 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I sure would never defend the driving habits of Cancun motorists,but, personally, my wife and I have owned and driven 5 or 6 cars in Mexico and never had a single issue over who was driving what car, although stopped numerous times through the years. Sounds to me like the case you cite is a very rare case. Believe me, I've been stopped many times through the years. I've been asked for mordidas, lectured and belittled, but thats about it. I did get one cocky little Rambo in Yucatan who spent 15 minutes showing me who was boss and made me produce everything but my birth certificate. But it ended ok.

Btw, isn't most "advice" on blogs based on "real life facts and experiences"? Anyone would be a fool to merely take blog advice as gospel, but it sure can help to guide us,sometimes. Isn't your story just a "blog anecdote"?

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I have no quarrel with this quote but, as a side note and interestingly, my Mexican auto insurance with AXA excludes coverage for any driver who is not a resident of Mexico, meaning my family members and friends would not be covered in the event of an accident if they were driving my Mexican plated car, with or without my permission. I discovered this quirk in the insurance while looking through the policy, after I'd allowed friends and family to drive!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice