Can't Quit Thinking Like An American

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Nov 15, 2007.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Excuse me if this sounds like a rant, it probably is one.

Being the American that I am I like having an automatic dishwasher. I know it's not the fashion here, it's much more fashionable to have some muchacha, who is underpaid, has a 4th grade education and knows little to nothing about hygiene do your dishes for you. But something about that just makes me sick to my stomach, literally; I prefer my impersonal machine.

But now I can't find automatic dish detergent anywhere!!!

Does anyone here know where to get it? I used to buy it at Costco, but they no longer have it (or Spray 'n Wash or Decaf Whole Bean Coffee...). And I can't find it at Sam's or Walmart or Soriana. I really think Costco was my best shot.

Help!!!

The other thing I can't find are MM-size can-vac vacuum cleaner bags. Again I'm bucking the status quo with the radical idea that sucking the dirt up might actually be better than kicking the dirt around with a broom. Having major dust allergies and lung damage tends to make one ponder to these things.

I'm sure I can get can-vac bags brought in since they are cheap and light to carry. But the automatic dish-washing detergent is not something I can get brought in.

I would appreciate any and all ideas about where to look. Thanks!

2. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We buy Cascade Complete at Soriana. It's usually in stock, but having lived here long enough to learn about Cancun Inventory Control, we buy 6 bottles at a time.

I can't help with vacuum bags, but whole bean decaf is available from Garat. See http://www.cafegarat.com/products/decaffeinated-whole-bean-coffee.php

Curiously, Mexican company but the website is in English. You can find it at Wal-Mart and Superama and you can order it on line. I can't attest to the decaf, but the regular is so good that we have to bring it with us for friends in the States and Europe.

Hope this helps.

3. raretail

raretail Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    "Cancun Inventory Control" hahaha that is so funny! I too have learned to buy in quantity. Gotta make hay when the sun shines. You should have seen me sneaking out of Walmart with 24 boxes of Silk soymilk the other day :lol: sorry suckers!

Anyway, yes the Garat is wonderful. All I ever buy now.

4. Sapphire

Sapphire Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kim

They sell "Shout" stain remover at "Soriana" it is in gel form. Sometimes you can get it in the spray bottle but not very often. It seems to work for Sofia's clothes when she get a nasty hard to remove stain.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks everyone, it appears that I need to pay a lot more attention in Soriana. Maybe I rush through there too fast and don't see what's in front of me.

The dish washer is full of dirty dishes so I'd better go today.

Thanks!

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And I did find Garat decaf at Walmart, thanks!

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Vacuum bags

My better half tells me that depending on the brand and model, you can find vacuum cleaner bags at Liverpool. Of course not for our vacuum, so we buy in bulk when we're in the States.

8. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, if you ever find anything here that you miss from back home, buy lots! I found Velveeta Shells & Cheese at Costco and got 2 cases! :D
    Found WheatThins at Soriana once and they have never have had them again. :(

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wheat Thins...

I just spent the evening with some women who have lived in Cancun for over 20 years each. They remember when you couldn't get ANY kind of cheese, or dog food, or sun screen, or fresh vegetables.

I need to remember to be grateful....

10. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    YEA! I was going to say.... Quit whining let Carmen, Alisha & ME tell you about going without

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice