cancuncare/saggy bottom new orleans reunion october 2011

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by diamondheaded, Nov 15, 2010.

1. diamondheaded

diamondheaded I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    the only sad part about this is the limited number of hotel rooms now in new orleans :(

hotel monteleone - sold out now as are numerous other hotels in the area. i checked and there are still a few at nearby hotels but all said it was only a matter of days or weeks before they were all 100 percent booked.

bottom line its just a huge time of the year in new orleans as the weather gets nice, the saints are playing the colts in a repeat of the 2010 superbowl, our group is in town and the atmosphere is going to be electric

btw

working with the storyville stompers (our parade band) to march us from inside the hotel to the street - yes - the parade will actually start inside this magnificent hotel if all goes as planned and then out into the french quarter

cant wait - just 8 weeks to go

:)

KEEP ON WISHING

rob

2. diamondheaded

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    and so it grows

its sort of jumped the fence at this point :)

smoothie king has now become a sponsor

Smoothie King

3. diamondheaded

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    thanks again to all whom have supported this great cause - WE topped $21,790.00 as a group on august 31

:)

only a few days left to be a party to this gift we present

the last day for the drive is september 30 - then all of our focus turns into the biggest best reunion/party/parade ever

hoping to shatter $25,000.00 and would love to have you be a part (even if you cant make it)

just send direct to

Make-A-Wish Foundation
    3340 Severn Avenue, Suite 350
    Metairie, LA 70002

please make a note on there that it is for the reunion so that it gets counted to our efforts also let us know which team you are for by writing down texas, canada or america on the memo

only 21 days left in the competition between the american v texans v canadians

and here is how it stands

canadians - $1560.79
    texans - $1,435.00
    americans $2,545.00

still way too close to call - but i do know that the texans have a big bowling event planned here in dfw on next weekend to have fun and raise money and it is open to all the texans from cancuncare and saggy bottoms alike -

come be a part

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

4. diamondheaded

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    the local abc affiliate wgno will be covering the event so do not skimp on your costumes your going to want to look your best on tv

.........more to keep coming - i assure you

also ALL ROOMS the Hotel Monteleone are sold out

but i still have the only 2 rooms one can get in the quarter on that weekend as pretty much all others are taken that weekend and these two rooms are at the special rate in the hotel monteleone

these will go ligtening fast so if you want them you better let me know soon - like yesterday

rob

5. diamondheaded

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    let me simply say that without the support of cancuncare and the friends whom we have met because of this website this would have never been possible and we are forever grateful to you :)

OUR donation drive comes to an end this friday, september 30 (all checks must be postmarked by 9/30 to count towards OUR groups efforts) and i am proud to say because of cancuncare and its members and friends........... i am estimatinng now that the final total will be somewhere between $25,000.00 and $30,000.00 in direct giving by US to the make a wish foundation (final numbers will not be known until october 22 (the day we actually write the check out and present it) and 100 percent goes direct to this charity :)

after this coming friday - pretty much all of our focus will be on the big reunin party in new orleans.

so this is your last chance to be a part of this amazing effort and show some love to a great organization which grants wishes to children living with life threatening conditions

for those who do not know jim's story (our son) and terra's story (kat & tmacs daughter) and why we chose to have such a big party/celebration and fund raiser - i encourage you to read these and consider being a part of this effort (regardless of whether you are attending or not)

terra's story

[​IMG]

Terra Marie McConnell was a beautiful baby girl born May 18, 1988. She was growing to be a smart and beautiful girl who held a state beauty title and who could read at a second grade level. In the fall of 1993 at 5 years old she was diagnosed with stage 4 Neuroblastoma. Terra had a very large tumor in her abdomen area that could not be removed with surgery and aggressively treated with Chemotherapy, Radiation and finally in July of 94 a Bone Marrow Transplant. Through all of her treatments Terra remained a very strong and positive girl with an adultlike sense of humor and love to be given as big as the sky. She quickly made lots of friends at the hospital and became close to several nurses and dealt with all that was handed her with much strength. Our prayers and hopes of remission was shattered when in late Jan of 95 we received the devastating news that the very aggressive cancer had returned and with no additional treatment available to her.

In February we contacted the local chapter of the Make A Wish Foundation to see if they could grant a wish to Disneyworld Florida. You see, it had to be very soon as Terra had several tumors develop on her spine as well as pelvic bone that made it very painful and difficult for her to walk. We frankly were not sure at this point if she could endure or even enjoy such a trip as her pain was sometimes unbearable. We could not believe how quickly they pulled together a trip for a week to Give Kids the World including flights and arrangements for Terra’ half brother to join us as well as cleared all the Parks for us to pull a wagon so Terra would be able to ride when she got tired.

By mid February we were on our way! All of us were very excited!

The minute we set foot in Florida we truly were treated as royalty! We were amazed at how every little detail was taken care of we had absolutely nothing to worry about! Spending money, a Camcorder to record our outings, Itinerary of Parks and places to go things to see, gifts left in our room, we were instant celebrities.! The biggest joy of all is how Terra reacted, she had happiness and energy that we had not seen for several weeks, she was having a wonderful time! When Make A Wish claims families lives are changed forever we can tell you with first hand experience that our memories of that special time will last a lifetime! Make A Wish will always have a special place in our hearts of our family as well as all the people who with their kindness thru donations made it happen for us.

On May 17, 1995, the day before she turned 7 our beautiful girl who wanted to go skating for her birthday lost her battle with cancer. Terra would now have been 23 years old and thru the heartache of it all those memories of our Florida Make A Wish trip and her bright smiling face will be with us forever.

Our deepest gratitude

Terry Kathy and Cheyenne McConnell

jim's story

[​IMG]

James Duvall Cummins "Jim" was born April 28, 1992. Jim was one of the most giving children I have ever known. When he was about 4 years old he once saw the man ringing the Salvation Army bell outside of a Wal-Mart and insisted on going home collecting all of his coins and donating all (100 percent) of his money to the Salvation Army. He once gave away several of his birthday presents to other children at HIS birthday party. Whenever he was given candy he always made sure he saved some for his younger brother Chris. Jim was a true giver and he loved the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

In the Spring of 2000, After several months of headaches and nausea a cat scan was performed and it was determined that Jim had a brain tumor. He was immediately taken to the hospital and after his surgery he developed complications and passed away. This all transpired in less than a week. It was so sudden none of us ever even had a chance to grasp with what had happened to Jim. There is no explanation for what happened.

However, I do know Jim well enough to know that if he had the ability to ask for just one wish today, he would ask for this event which we have created. Jim's wish would have been for us to grant as many wishes as possible to other kids. In a unique and awesome way, all of those who are part of this effort are in the process of actually granting a wish. We are granting Jim his wish all the while we are actually all working together to grant other children their wishes too.
    It is pretty amazing when you think about it!

During this year long effort to raise money and awareness for the Make-A-Wish Foundation, I have tried my best to do it the way Jim would have wanted it done. Jim was very determined and strong willed child and he never gave up on anything. Yet he reamained very considerate, mindful and grateful to others. I hope that I have honored Jim well. If anyone ever deserved to be granted a wish then it was Jim. I am glad we have finally granted Jim his wish.

thanks again to all

last chance to be a part - this coming friday

Make-A-Wish Foundation® of the Texas Gulf Coast and Louisiana, Inc.
    3340 Severn Avenue, Suite 350
    Metairie, LA 70002

"new orleans reunion" placed on the check will make sure it get credited to our group :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  6. diamondheaded

Ratings:
    +3 / 1
    thanks to all of the cancuncare people and friends

we topped the $33,000.00 mark today in DIRECT giving to the Make A WIsh Foundation and looks as though we will end up easily topping $35,000.00 for this incredible charity

we rarely get to do things this amazing and those whom have been a part get to share in the dynamic effort

thanks again to all

this is my last post until i post pics/links after the weekend long party

the best

rob

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice