Cancun to Cozumel???

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by waterbug, Jan 28, 2009.

1. waterbug

waterbug Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We will be in Cancun for a week and thought about heading to Cozumel for the day.

Is this worth it?? How far would it be and how much time would we waste just getting there?

Also, where do you catch the ferry to Cozumel? We would rather not have to rent a car? Is there a bus that goes from the Cancun hotel zone to the ferry?

thanks for the help

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    There is a bus from downtown Cancun which costs $3.50 to Playa del Carmen and from there you would catch the ferry over to Cozumel.

It would be quite a long trip, so head out early. The bus takes maybe an hour and a half maybe more early morning to Playa del Carmen, then you'll have to wait for a ferry (every 2 hours *I think*) then the ferry crossing.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You have options:
    A. There are buses to Playa Del Carmen from the airport like every 30 minutes, on the hour and half hour. or
    B. There are buses like every half hour from the downtown bus terminal.
    C. If money is not important and time is, take a cab to the airport Terminal 2, about $20 total from most hotels. The bus leaves from the parking lot on the left end of Terminal 2. It's $8.50 US but better to pay $85 pesos. or
    D. Take any R-1 bus from your hotel to downtown. The km markers go down to 0 then 2 traffic lights after 0, the bus turns right on Av. Tulum. Get off at either the 3rd or 4th bus stop which is pretty much next to McDonalds and the bus station is right across the street. Cross at the raised crosswalk/speed bumps and pedestrians have the right of way. The bus is like $.50 US per person and the cab will be about $10 depending on how bad the cabbie jams you. Then,
    E. You can either go in the terminal and catch a bus, or in the grocery parking lot where the crosswalk is (we call them topes -Toe-pays) there will be a guy screaming PLAYA and you can catch a small shuttle bus or you can cross the street, and in the strip of businesses across from the entrance to the terminal there are more guys screaming PLAYA and you may get a smaller shuttle van.
    F. The ferry leaves every 1 or 2 hours, sometimes 1 and sometimes 2, from 6 am to 11 pm. It takes 45 minutes. Same deal coming back but the last ferry leaves Coz at 10 pm.
    G. The ferry is 100 yards from the bus station. Just head from the bus to the water and there it is.

T.J.
    Cancun, QR, Mexico

4. Medusa

Medusa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You could also take a taxi for about $60.00

5. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I suppose you could take a taxi but that only gets you to the bus station, a block from the docks. The cheapest taxi ride is like $140 for the whole taxi. It is downtown about two blocks from the bus station, on Tulum. There is a tall building with Molino written on it. The taxis are on the street in front of Molino under a canvas carport looking thing.

It is popular with locals to get the taxi to Playa from there cuz they can share the $140 ride with 3 others so it is $35 each person.

BUT KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS THE PESO RATE. EXCHANGE RATE RIGHT NOW IS $14.23 SO THE WHOLE CAB IS UNDER $10 US, PLUS ABOUT $1 FOR 2 ON THE BUS. TAKE THE R-1 FROM THE HOTEL, AND GET OFF AT MCDONALD AFTER THE BUS MAKES THE RIGHT ON TULUM, ABOUT THE 4TH STOP. YOU CAN SEE THE MCDONALDS SIGN AS IT IS REALLY HIGH. CROSS THE STREET, TURN RIGHT AND YOU WILL QUICKLY SEE THE CARPORT LOOKING THING BETWEEN THE BIG STREE, AVENIDA TULUM, AND THE SERVICE ROAD RUNNING PARALLEL.

I AM HEADING IN THAT DIRECTION SOON AND WILL STOP TO SEE IF THEY ARE STILL AT $140 FOR THE WHOLE TAXI.

6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The taxi from downtown, near the bus station is $45 per person if the ride is shared, or $180 for the entire taxi.

The awning is the color of the Mexican flag.

The pickup point is 200 meters from the crosswalk by McDonalds and after you cross the street from getting off the bus, and you turn right, it is 3 short blocks, or rather just after the 3rd street you have to cross.

If I really wanted to take this taxi to Playa it may be cheaper. Last time some local Mex friends took it, the cost was $35 per person.

7. YessicaBB

YessicaBB Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You could fly if money was no issue, $75USD each way and the flight is 15 minutes.

http://www.mayair.com.mx/

Just another option :)

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Boy, flying just takes the hassle right out of it...

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  10. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Each way is $75 Steve as Yessica points out. That's $450 US r/t for your crew. Je Je

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice