Cancun Shark Attack

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by TraceyUk, Jan 31, 2011.

1. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus - tell me about it!!! However, guess you understand a bit ;)

Yeah, I have no clue why I'm so scared either... I used to not even go in the water at all!!!

2. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Canadian survives shark attack in Mexico | World | News | Toronto Sun

says she didn't lose arm or leg. who knows. :)

i do all my training in the sea however, and tomorrow's swim is going to be a yikers. The other disconcerting thing is that she was with a large group. That's usually a recipe for avoidance as they generally go for the stragglers.

3. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So, let me get this straight.... This ladies arms and legs are in good condition. Yes she is critical condition from the blood lost, but she is stable. The female shark was preparing to give birth when a group of humans invaded her space in her wide open home and she snapped.. literally. And now she is being hunted?!?! Where else was this shark supposed to go to do this natural thing called birthing? I am so pissed off right now!!!

4. Cokewithlime

Cokewithlime Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +246 / 3
    According to the Toronto Sun report (where I live)
    The only way to tell would be by the bite pattern.

I have been diving in the Yucatan for over 12 years and I would have to say that barracuda's are far more frequently seen in the area than sharks. Barracuda's are highly attracted to bright shiny/flashy metal such a jewelery, their bites although serious are rarely dismembering or life threatening.

5. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Elle: Oh, I do. At least your fear is of sharks... A bit "cooler" than bees/wasps, haha:D

@Tori: I completely agree and share your anger. To me, she is a great mother and one of many reasons why sharks have been around for so long.

All in all a very unfortunate event.

Im still hoping they wont start killing "suspected" sharks...

Bigger problems in Mexico and Cancun, to say the least.

6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From this article...

Are they just making $hit up now or did I sleep though these 2 alleged shark attack deaths? (for which they gave no references whatsoever)

Personally, I find a cockroach flying in my general direction a lot more upsetting than seeing a shark in the water (which I was fortunate enough to have happen a while back in front of the Cancun Palace...) but people are panicky and irrational about things like this and I'm getting tired of the attacks by foreign media outlets exaggerating and outright lying about things to keep people from visiting as many of my friends depend on tourism for their livelihoods... the most dangerous part of a trip to Cancun is the drive to and from the airport not sharks, narcos, or anything else so long as you have a few brain cells worth of common sense...

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The shark fatalities from a couple of years ago were on the Pacific Coast, not here. There was one "suspected" attack but in the end it was a drowning and a postmortem bite.

I've seen some big barracuda out there, but none big enough to cause the kind of damage the reports are indicating. The last report I saw said she was on a jet ski, so who knows what really happened. I'm sure curious though.

8. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jee wiz, you might have thought they would make that a little more clear ;).

I guess saying...

doesn't quite have the same sensationalist flare to it... :announce:

if I owned a big business here I would sue the pants off of all these irresponsible and slanderous "news" outfits for the damage they've done to the area...

9. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank god they haven't figured out that this was a specially trained drug running shark working for the cartels. ;-)

10. Old Guy

Old Guy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Toronto Star

Finally, a clear responsible report of this incident. The Toronto Star this morning gives a clear, first person, report of what happened. The victim, a 38 year old nurse from a community just north of Toronto had been playing volleyball with friends and went into the sea to cool off. The beach had been "red flagged" all day, and the bathers were in waist deep water. The life guards spotted the shark, blew their whistles to clear the water, but before anyone could respond this lady was bitten on the thigh, then arm and hand when she tried to fight it off. A life guard on a seadoo got her out of the water. She never lost consciousness, in fact gave directions on how to dress her wound until medical help arrived. She had muscle and nerve damage but is doing very well, and has high praise for the staff at Hospiten where she was treated.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice