Cancun Shark Attack

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by TraceyUk, Jan 31, 2011.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tracey: I did some volunteering with "Bullies" in Australia, and as far as I know, they develop their babies inside the "tummy", and the mother then releases(gives birth) to live, baby sharks.

Not unlike humans...

I never heard any details about what type of shark this was, but bullies are not to be messed with. They are one of mother natures true top of the line predators.

A friend in OZ who is experiencing the floods, told me that bullies from the rivers have started to swim around the flooded areas.

They are known for going into very shallow waters to reach their prey.

They are also VERY territorial.

Personally I have never heard of any shark attacks in my 4 years living in Cancun.

I hope we get some updates and I sure do hope they dont start killing them off because of this. :(

2. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    HA! Just read a article from a Canadian "news" source.. they have a picture of a giant great white shark (ie: JAWS) headlining the piece. They also mentioned the "report" of a shark attack in Cancun back in 2008... I do seem to recall something about a guy getting drunk, drowning, and then being munched on by fish for a few days before washing up on shore a while back, which was erroneously (and irresponsibly) sensationalized as a shark attack by a local paper for a day or two... if that's what they're trying to link to... anyway, let the next round of Mexico bashing commence.. :bash:

3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here is another one: Shark attacks Canadian off Cancun (Minus the spurious, sensationalist picture!)

Anyone notice that news in English usually comes out with less than 24 hours when it used to take a week if at all? The small world gets smaller.

4. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Novedades has actually reported on the story today.
    The woman involved is reported to be critical but stable.

Rawkus I apologise for my marine biology mistake ! I got my info from an incorrcet students website Sharks

5. Old Guy

Old Guy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very Strange

Both the reports mentioned here are from papers in British Columbia on Canada's west coast.
    As of this morning, neither the Toronto Star, a major Ontario paper, nor CTV news, a major TV network has reported this attack.
    Possible inference is the victim is from B.C..

6. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In trying to dig up stats, the only thing I could find is that there have been 5 fatal shark attacks reported in Quintana Roo in the last 100 years. The man who was found in 2008 had drowned, his body taken out to sea where the sharks had a go at him after he had already died. There was a report out of Chetumal that a small boat making the trek from Cuba was attacked in January.

This is not a common event by any means.

If they're going shark hunting, are we in Amity? When does Roy Scheider get here? Da duh....da duh.....

[ame=""]YouTube - Jaws Trailer 1975

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  7. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tracey: Sorry, didnt mean to come off as an "expert".

Some sharks do lat eggs, but the majority of them bear live young inside, like humans. In most cases there is even cannibalism starting in the "tummy"(my English lacks the proper term, haha), to ensure that the strongest ones are the ones that she gives birth to.

Even if bullies had laid eggs, the attack would most likely still have occurred, considering their territorial aggression, so in this case, had the people entered "her" area, its basically "tomatoe - tomato".

Where on the body did she get bit? Think I heard something about her arm, but not sure...

8. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Jim - I also read that information here in a local paper!! Very sad...

For someone like me, who has an actual phobia to sharks - it's pretty scary stuff. You can give me all the stats in the world, but it's a phobia and only I can get over it myself. My best bet? I plan on going to the HZ in an hour or so and getting in that water now. Otherwise, I'll just continue to freak the out!!

10. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Elle: Phobias suck!

Im dead scared of bees and wasps... Ugh... Cant handle them at all. Dont even know why.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice