Cancun Shark Attack

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by TraceyUk, Jan 31, 2011.

1. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Has anyone else heard reports about a woman being attacked by a shark today- in front of the sunset hotel in Cancun?

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. TraceyUk

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Yikes- its the pool for me !

4. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No way!! Crazy!

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    From the article it appears that some people thought the shark was giving birth, and a crowd of swimmers came too close for comfort. In any case, it's unsettling for something like this to happen.

Sharks and such are never far from my mind when I swim in the sea. For what it's worth, I keep a wary eye, and would never dream of getting closer than I could avoid, while swimming on the surface. (When diving, it's a different matter, it seems.)

People who've lived here a long time tell me it's the first attack they've ever heard of: hope the next one is equally long in coming.

6. meanestkitty

meanestkitty Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Wow!

That is pretty scary news there.

7. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ahhhhhhh!! Sorry for my french, but this scares the crap out of me!!! I've been told a million times that this doesn't happen here, and now?? EEEK. I mean I suppose I was a tad naive to believe it couldn't or wouldn't....

I feel terrible for the victim, and her family. I hope she will be alright!!

8. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OUT OF THE WATER!!! OUT OF THE WATER!!! YOU'LL SURELY BE EATEN BY SHARKS!!!!...

of' course you'll be perfectly safe driving your car and eating that 3,000 calorie grease-burger.. but Lord' O' Mighty you best stay out of the water! Least you become one of the almost 60 people (out of 6,897,105,892) a year to be "attacked" by a shark.... yep... let's all run and hide in fear... after all, the news media says that shark attacks should be my biggest concern and that I should avoid Cancun because my family will be eaten! ;)

9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I really hope they dont "punish" the shark(or any other sharks for that matter..).

IF the story is true that it was giving birth, then LEAVE IT ALONE, just like any other animal.

I hope the lady is going to be ok as well, and that this can teach people to respect wildlife for what it is.

If I wandered into a room when a woman was giving birth, Im sure she wouldnt be too pleased, hehe ;)

When I worked at the zoo in Australia some years a go, we had some interesting stats regarding croc attacks.

Id say 9/10 tourist expressed worries about being in "croc infested" areas, such as Far North Queensland...

Some of the stats were:

More people in Australia dies yearly from:

*Bee stings
    *Slipping in the bathroom
    *Getting crushed by the vending machines(!!) after pushing them in anger
    *Choking on restaurant food
    *Climbing on to your own roof
    *Drowning
    *Alcohol poisoning
    *Gas poisoning from malfunctioning barbeque's ... and so on. :)

10. TraceyUk

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Bull sharks which are native to these waters do NOT give birth they lay eggs.

A friends daughter was with our daughter 2 years ago water skiing off the coast by the Presidente Hotel. She was circled and bumbed by a HUGE bull shark. At the time no one believed her but they do come to cancun near to the lagoon to breed .

Its wise not to swim during dusk and dawn when sharks feed.
    Of course we should all keep swimming in these beautiful waters but it is also wise to be aware that we are in natures territory.
    Tracey

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice