Cancun Questions

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by guybrush, Feb 11, 2007.

1. guybrush

guybrush Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all!

We are heading to Cancun the first time soon and now there are some open questions... ;-)

Sorry, if some of them are already answered, but this forum is so big... :oops:

1. Currency
    Do u pay with US-$ or their local currency there?

2. Customs
    How many cigarettes are allowd to take in? (I know they are very cheap there, but I prefer to get some of my favorite local brand at the duty free shop on my depart. airport *g*)

-Are they strict with imports at the customs anyway?

3. Mardi Gras
    As we do not have Mardi Gras over here I wonder where to get beads and how much they cost.
    -I got the advice to buy some on ebay... Usefull or not?

thats all 4 now... if more comes up, i'll post it here... :lol:

many tnx & can't wait to see u all soon! :D

guybrush

2. Franco27

Franco27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1. Currency
    Do u pay with US-$ or their local currency there?

A: either, dollars are better for the clubs etc, pesos better for getting around, local markets things like that - although i had some random pounds and euros on me and managed to get things with those when i had run out of $$'s, someone made a big profit out of me that night!

2. Customs
    How many cigarettes are allowd to take in? (I know they are very cheap there, but I prefer to get some of my favorite local brand at the duty free shop on my depart. airport *g*)

-Are they strict with imports at the customs anyway?

A: ok customs allowances in to mexico for cigarettes are:

> 20 packs of cigarettes
    > 50 cigars or 200grams of tabacco

3. Mardi Gras
    As we do not have Mardi Gras over here I wonder where to get beads and how much they cost.
    -I got the advice to buy some on ebay... Usefull or not?

A: hmm as far as im aware they usually throw them out in to the crowd

Hope this helps matey

3. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That was a fluke...

Don't count on being able to use your Pounds or Euros.

And no US coins...they are worthless there (can't even be exchanged) so no one will take them.

4. Franco27

Franco27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    tell me about it, was a little worse for wear that night (suprised i even remember it :lol: ) and gave a taxi driver £10 to take me about 500 yards - but yeah, probably best to stick with US and Mex currency.

5. guybrush

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hmm, still leaving me confused... So you do have US-$ AND Mex-Pesos arround you?

Means in the clubs you pay with USD rather than pessos? :roll:

6. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's up to you. I agree with the advice I have read here to just have pesos. Then you don't have to worry about what to use where. Besides, places do accept dollars, but every place has a different exchange rate. On the other hand, your servers would love dollars as tips.

7. guybrush

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ok, so what's BEST to reform my question... :wink:

As I'm not from the US anyway it's no advantage for me to have USD, I would have to exchange them as well as pessos...

But I _guess_ that the clubs have prices written in USD, instead of pessos due to the US-Breakers coming then...?

Means, you pay a drink with pessos and tip with USD?! :D

Or simply: Is it good at all to exchange USD _and_ pessos if you have neither @home? :wink:

8. Franco27

Franco27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i stand corrected. .. guess things have changed a bit!

9. whdream

whdream Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah you might wanna try getting yourself some pesos. And getting quite of bit of 1 dollar bills, helps for tipping.

I don't know what you are bale to bring in from youre neck of the woods, I always bring one carton with me though..

As for the Beads, you can buy them in a party store, they usually have them there. You know they sell balloons and such, and all that fun stuff

10. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Definately get pesos. I'm thinking more that it is maybe best for you to just convert to pesos because you then you don't need to concern yourself with dollars at all. Don't misunderstand us, servers love pesos for tips as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice