Cancun needs you!

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, May 4, 2009.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    We stayed at a hotel over the weekend, the decline in guest numbers was nothing short of upsetting. On Sunday they closed the buffet for dinner, everyone was eating in the specialty restauarants. Today 80 people checked out and just 10 checked in.

Many staff have been sent home for two weeks. One bartender, when we expressed concern, told us not to worry about him - he had his savings to live off.... his savings after working there for around 10 years amount to just over $200. Needless to say he has a little more than that now. This same story is repeated thousands of times over all of Cancun - and all for the sake of column inches and ratings. Cancun is hurting right now and it is only people like you that can help it recover.

If you can make it down here please do so, lets get these guys and girls back in work!

2. Hyru

Hyru Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I really really hope things get better. More specifically (and selfishly), I really really hope things get better by the time I come down, which will be in July. We come for the party, and if its a ghost town.... well, that would about be the absolute worst thing to happen for our trip..

But Cancun, I have faith in you. I have faith in your ability to bounce back. Your resilience in unmatched.

3. BVG_Steve

BVG_Steve Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The hotel association is reporting a 27% occupancy rate.

http://www.ahqr.com.mx/ingles/bien.php

Steve I know self promoting is something looked down on, but your forum followers interested in luxury condo rentals can get an awesome deal right now from the owners I represent, especially last minute travelers coming in May or early June.

4. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I wont be down until next march, but I have been telling everyone I know, especially here at the office that NOW is the time to hit up cancun. You can find great deals and its a beautiful place. I actually think a few people here at my office are looking into it also!! I hope the crowds return soon!

5. trigger2002

trigger2002 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A few people in my office have had there trips cacelled by the travel company which is a shame as they where wanting to go after i exlained and showed them facts that this 'flu' isnt to be worried about in Cancun .

6. Brett61

Brett61 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I stayed at the GR SOLARIS and the pool, restraunt, and shows were still busy... not sure how it is normally but I still had fun!! I do think they were slower than normal from talking to other people..

I am an assistant manager at a Marriott Hotel by the Airport in Dallas and I know that cancun is a little different but the Hotel Industry itslef is hurting. The Dallas area has fallen off almost 60%!!

7. rockrgrrrl

rockrgrrrl I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm seriously considering coming back over the summer with the prices the way that they are..

8. Brett61

Brett61 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    right... I looked when I got back and the same hotel 3 extra nights was only $50.00 more than I paid!!! I was already thinking about when I could go back when I was on the plane ride home.

9. bake

bake Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :D :D :D :D
    WILL BE THERE ON JUNE 2OTH

10. bahama

bahama Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    reschedule

I hope to reschedule but I have not found that bargain !!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice