Cancun more corrupt this year?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Sol_Gemma, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Sol_Gemma

Sol_Gemma Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My first week in cancun i had my camera and phone stolen from my bag, i think stolen as absolutely nothing else was missing. Then our 2nd to last night out in frogs, $15 gone, again, nothing else was missing. The bag this stuff was in is secure and both times i found it open. I spoke to loads of people who had lost cameras, phones, wallets jewellery etc, i never heard it much before but then i dont pay the most attention either!! 2 boys at our hotel also got robbed by the police when they got seperated from their groups

Also, after the slices meet up, i got the bus to my hotel at 2.30 ish with someone from the forum who was gentlemanly and insisted on coming for the ride to make sure im safe, forgot his user name now (sorry) anywho, both of us and 3 pissed americans ended up missing our stop and the bus stopped in downtown cancun. I soon realised there were 6 mexicans on the bus to the 5 of us, so my safety switch kicked in, the driver wanted more money to take us back so i paid for the americans as they had no clue what was happening, then on the way back a mexican guy came and sat on the seat in front and stared at us the whole time! It was really intimidating, and made me think really, if they had wanted to they could of mugged us and kicked us off the bus downtown. So in any case, i will be more careful next year!!!!!

2. hw711

hw711 Moderator/Dance Machine Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There were definitely pickpockets in clubs as Andrew will tell you. I wear really tight pants so it's hard for them to get anything from me. :cool:

One corruption I've noticed was "security people" accusing you of stealing shit and asking you to pay them off. A security came up to me at Oasis and accused me of stealing their Grey Goose. One night at the City, Joe took the bottle from our table and the security outside stopped us and accusing us of stealing the bottle and threaten to call the cops. Sam had to pay him $500 pesos for him to let Joe go.

3. Sol_Gemma

Sol_Gemma Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    oh no, what happened to Andrew? I think the police and security people dont actually work there, they just go buy a uniform then go robbing

4. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    haha that wouldnt surprise me in the least.

but the bus incident would have been quite scary gemma. i'd be nervous for sure. but if your camera was taken does that mean you dnot have any photos :(

5. hw711

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some Mexican girl came up to him to dance with him and pickedpocked his camera. He noticed but it got passed on to other people of that pickpocket group so he wasn't sure who had it. He tried to ask for it back and ended up having to pay them US$50.

6. Sol_Gemma

Sol_Gemma Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i have no photos :( but claire did buy a disposable, and im hoping we'll get tagged into more on facebook. On the plus side it was only £6 from ebay and they cant use it as you have to charge it in a docking station thing. That'll learn them

7. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    boourns that does suck! but it will sure learn em... arseholes...

8. hw711

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Disposible cameras can't take amazing pictures. I rather risk it with my nice camera.

9. UKLAD

UKLAD Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    me and 5 mates went the wrong way on the bus and got off at the wrong stop, so we decided to get in a taxi. It was a 8/10 seater and he said he didnt know where our hotel was said we was miles away but i knew this wasnt the case. He then said we had to wait for other people to come in so he could make more money but we said we would pay the extra but he insisted. Then 4 mexicans got in and he started driving. the price kept going up and up so we said to pull over and let us out he said no. He said if we didnt pay he would take us to downtown cancun and we wouldnt be getting back tonight. we got to our hotel within 5 minutes payed what we agreed and was getting out he was demanding more and a tip but we refused the mexicans then looked like they was about to start a fight with us but we refused to pay and carried on walking. luckily nothing else happend but i will certainly get off at the right bus stop in future lol

10. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I always try and make sure there are other people on the buses when I get a ride home!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice