Cancun Malls

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by UKLAD, Jan 31, 2007.

1. UKLAD

UKLAD Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    how far away are the malls from the hotel zone? and which mall is the best in your opinion??

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    SHOPPING MALLS

The answer is, depending on traffic, and from where you are in the hotel zone, 15-20 minutes to Plaza Las Americas, 20-25 to Paseo Cancun and about 25 to Gran Plaza.

BUT, There are several malls in the hotel zone. In my opinion, the best 2 are Plaza La Isla. It is loaded with stores and restaurants and has a nice theater. It is like at km 12 I think.

Next would be Plaza Kukulcan which would be around km 14 or so. It even has an area called Luxury Avenue. Also has a great lobby bar, sort of like what you would find in a nice hotel.

Both of these are more high end. La Isla is not an enclosed mall while Kukulcan is.

At Party Center is Plaza Forum. Multi level and quite tourist but nice nonetheless.

Flamingo Plaza is enclosed and is where you will find Outback, Pat O'Brian's and Margaritavilee. Plenty of stores but nothing rings my bell. I would put this one at km 10 or 11, just a bit past Party Center if you are heading toward the airport.

Across the street from the Riu Palace, the giant, skyline dominating hotel next to Party Center is Plaza Caracol, km 9. Lots of stores but nothing special.

In town, my favorite is Plaza Las Americas where the fire was. It is laid out more like a US mall, but no food court. It is over half open and the word on the street is that Sears will be opening in a few days. Liverpool (higher end dept store) may already be open, I was just to dumb to notice yesterday. Dorians, a dept store is open. My favorite place though is the VIP Cinema. Huge leather(ish) chairs, sushi, cappacino and other cool stuff. About $7 for a ticket. Avoid Wed as it is cheaper and the locals fill the place. There is a regular theater too but it was closed yesterday. Funny thing is that there was a bad fire yet no obvious smoke smell. I AM SURE YOU CAN FIND UPDATES ON THIS MALL ON THIS MESSAGE BOARD. Oh, this is located near the bullring, fronting both Bonampak and Tulum, south of the road from the hotel zone.

There are 2 new malls in town as well.

The newest is Paseo Cancun, a mile or so east of the downtown Walmart where everyone goes. Not enclosed. Theater, lots of stores, Starbucks, Hooters and City Club, which is like a Costco or Sams.

The other one, wihich opened around Oct, 2005, Wilma time, is called Gran Plaza. Anchored by a Walmart but there is another dept store that I cannot think of its name. A small food court with a La Taberna and La Parilla, a chinese place and a few others. Some interesting stores. I think I like this place but it is a bit out of the way. From Costco, go south to the next big intersection (McDonalds on left) and take a right on Nichupte. It is a mile or so on the left. Just look for Walmart.

Hope this helps.

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    T.J., have you missed the large food court in Plaza las Americas? McD's, Burger King, Subway, La Parilla, Pizza Hut, the Italian Steak company, and more! (Probably suffered badly in the fire though it's right under Mambo Cafe).

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oops. I just go to Mama Roma and never there. Sorry, how stupid of me. So Plz las Amer is just like a real gringo mall. LOL.

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And we usually just eat at Tumbaburros, lol, but ice cream from the food court is always a nice (messy) treat for Max. :D

6. johndish

johndish Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do you eat the ice cream from haagen daz? I could not believe how expensive it was..

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I ate the Haagen Daaz ONCE. I stopped after finding out how danged expensive it was! Max is happy with his cheapie cone from McD's.

8. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yup.
    $5 USD for a single scoop cone.

So is Tiffany.
    And that (for many) is the point - to be made to feel special.
    So in many cases - it's not such a bad deal for $5.

9. Drewbert

Drewbert Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's an ice cream stall IN the food court at PLA that often has a 2 for 1 special. And they have cappuchino flavour.

Beats McD's non-icecream any day.

10. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The ice cream booth in the entrance to Chedraui at Plaza las Americas isn't bad at all and its the cheapest option to boot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice