Cancun Jail

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Feb 7, 2010.

1. justjimmy

justjimmy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks

Thanks Steve for the split.
    And congrats on your announcement. (new MexiBrit)

Jimmy:mnm:

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Steve :)

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Steve, moving this thread may help reduce the rancor. We'll see.

One of the reasons I posted my observations regarding the conditions of jail visitation was so that people would not be afraid to visit the jail, if they should wish to. There are people there who would welcome a visit.

I'll be going again: others may do the same, without fear of feeling unduly intimidated by the facilities, the procedures followed for admitting visitors, or the people there.

4. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been following this thread with high interest, and I would like to thank you, V, for all you say.

I have been threatened to be sent to jail by illegal people here, and found absolutely NO lawyer being able to take the case because.. they are illegal, and we are in Mexico.

I am about to leave in a few days but I live in fear of... manana (being maybe tomorrow or in a few minutes). But you cheer me up a lot, and I HOPE you are right, I thought it was a hole full of rats (I have heard that from many Mexicans, but perhaps they didn't know what they were talking about).

RG, you certainly must be wrong :wink3:, and I expect all my friends will come see me with tasty food and music. Of course I will have my computer and will let you know!

Thank you so much :aktion033:

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks, Jenlieb, for adding a little comic relief to this contentious thread. You end up there, I'll be happy to come see you. (I understand you were being ironic!)

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Anyone who feels they'd like to make a "humanitarian purposes only" visit to the jail; who is willing to respect the privacy of those they speak with there, and who would feel more comfortable going the first time with someone who'd been there before, feel free to contact me by PM, to discuss it.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  7. mrbear

mrbear Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cancun jails I agree that thay are less restictive

Having worked in a jail in San Diego several years ago, I can tell you from personal observations that prison life in the states is no picnic, prisons in the states are often run by ethnic groups and street gangs, such as the black guerilla family, Mexican mafia, Aryan bother hood. At the time I had just graduated from college with a degree in criminal justice and finished by training from the sheriff’s academy. Working in the city jail was part of my police training. Let me tell you it was a scary place. Inmates were often raped, beaten up or stabbed if they were placed in the wrong holding area or accidently placed with a rival gang. In my experience three things happen in American prisons, rape, gambling, and murder. I strongly disagree that American prisons are safe, not even for the correctional officers. I as part of my graduate studies we looked into Mexican prison system and they are structured considerably different and less restrictive from the penal system of the states, however, if you look into the Canadian system, I think it is by far a more human both Mexico and the unities states penal system.

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    To add to some of mrbear's observations, prisons around the world are places in which really bad things can happen, even when you attempt to "sterilize" the enviroment by isolating prisoners/prison population groups, etc. Also, as he alludes to, jails/prisons tend to reproduce, inside, the culture that exists, outside, so it comes as no surprise that bad elements of Mexican society try to control what goes on inside Cancun's prison, or that corruption is present there.

In spite of how dangerous it may be to be confined in a jail/prison, here or anywhere else, it is generally safe for visitors. Complete safety for all, at all times, is found nowhere. Those who visit jails for humanitarian purposes assume whatever small risk there may be.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some stuff to add:

*27 inmates in a cell, sized 4x6 square meters.

*Chief who handles the protection payments, without interference from the guards. (Believed to be a Zeta-member)

*Commander - 2nd highest after the Chief. (Believed to be either Zeta or Mara Salvatrucha member)

*You can have someone "offed" for as low as 1800 pesos.

10. astrolis

astrolis Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Very interesting conversation.Philosophically I am sure all this lovely stuff about Cancun is true.Actually as River girl says ,i think ,that Cancuncare Guru is doing a great job at promoting Mexico.Who is paying you?
    I guarantee Free would rather be out of that paradise prison.I also know that it has cost his parents a lot of money to keep him safe in there.Money that friends are fundraising constantly.His Dad is doing a concert right now to raise funds.It is really stressful for the family and the fact that sometime thinks Cancun prison is a lovely place doesnt quite cut it.We need him out of there and home to his family.Maybe living in Mexico makes one blind to what is going on there.Have you even heard of the mafia and the drugs war and how the International community believes Mexico has the highest kidnapping problem in the world.Worse that Iraq.I can only imagine that you are safe if you dont ,by mistake or foolishness,bump into the wrong person outside a night club like Free did.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice