Cancun Jail Visits

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Apr 15, 2010.

1. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V-This sounds more like a country club then a jail to me. ToriB's version is more of a jail then what they have in Cancun.

2. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just remember that when you or someone you care for find themselves on the other side of the bars... also remember that a huge percentage of the prison population are there for drug use and related "non-violent" crimes. Never mind those who were railroaded by the system to take plea deals or risk never getting out.

As was said your family or freinds can put money on an inmates account to purchase all manner of things including radios and TV's in the US.... I can only assume that you are (one of the few) lucky enough to have never known anyone in jail/prison with your remarks.

& V.. I'm starting that think that you are just posting your theme park version of the jail as way to incite people... and I think its a disservice to describe it as you have for those who are interned there. If it were at all like you write it out to be there would be people lining up at the gate to get in rather than work for a living or go home to their palapas....

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Life, you're welcome to come with me, next time I go. This thread began with an open invitation.

You will find there neither a "theme park", nor a "country club", but enough cold concrete, steel and razor wire to satisfy you that it is, indeed, a prison.

I applaud any efforts made by the local prison administration, and City of Cancun, to make conditions there more humane.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  4. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would not be quick to knock anyone who has been there and seen it first hand. What does V have to gain to "lie" when anyone is welcome to see it for themselves? I keep toying with the idea, but I know my bf would not allow it.

5. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking.. after all its a well known fact that the US legal system is completely infallible! Cops never make bad arrests, prosecutors are never overzealous, and judges are always impartial. Besides with all of the mandatory minimums they'll spend the rest of their lives in prison anyway... Why not just shoot them on the street... I don't even think expensive trials are really needed... after all, victims and witnesses wouldn't lie about something... I say we just get rid of all of them and lower my taxes. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2010
  6. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V & ToriB,

I've not doubt that in some ways the jails and prisons in Mexico are far more humane that those of the US. However, I do take issue with the endearing way that V has been writing about his visits, as if its some sort of treat to be a inmate their with lively entertainments and giant parties every Sunday. I have visited someone in there before, a few years back, and it was not a place I would ever want to end up. He described little to no food, constant fights, intimidation/extortion, and threats, several unmentionable things he had seen and heard about and of guards and senior prisoners that would make Hitler seems like a nice guy. So unless there has been a radical transformation in the past years I think I'll pass on the invite. I can appreciate what V is expressing about inmates being able to visit with their families in a real way unlike the US, but its not a holiday club anymore than prisons in the US are.

7. gabesz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree that conditions should be humane. However country club atmosphere on that I draw the line. It is a prison isn't it?

8. gabesz

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I absolutely do not believe V is lying in any way. The idea of having prisons in the way V describes makes me wonder about a prison system no matter where.

9. Crazycj

Crazycj Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I know this is an old post but I’m curious if there’s anybody out there that still goes to the prison and visits them?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice