Cancun INM offices robbed

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunCanuck, Jul 16, 2008.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Given that my FM3 had whiteout on it I'm inclined to agree that Mexican FM2s and FM3s are not nearly as secure as other types of ID.

Apparently blank FM3s have have been stolen before. So clearly there's a compelling reason to steal them. They seem like they wouldn't be too hard to duplicate, but maybe the mafia has better things to do. Or maybe the paper is impossible to get. Or maybe there are things we haven't noticed that make them more secure than we think. I have no idea. But I know you'd be surprised to learn all of the ways that agents detect fake docs, there's a lot that goes into it.

And when people are entering the country with ill-gotten documents they don't act normal, even if they think they do. People, especially desperate immigrants, are nervous and can't help it. Agents don't just look at the documents, they look at the people. If something feels off then they send people to the office for further revision. And unless you've been trained by the CIA there's a high chance that you are a bad liar and will screw up and get caught lying.

INM trains agents to detect lying and they train them the art of interrogation. Most people don't stand a chance against people who are that experienced with this stuff. So even if the document is real, if it's ill-gotten there's a high chance that the agents will figure out that something isn't right.

2. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Spot on as usual!

When my husband and I returned to the Port in Tampa after our cruise, we had our passports and declaration forms in our hands. The agent collected our declarations, looked at them, barely glanced at our passports, all the while watching us, and we were on our way. My husband said he really thinks the agent looked just at a blank page in his passport. I had mine open to the picture page, but like I said, he hardly glanced at it.

We said to each other what you just said, RG, agents look more at the person than they do at the docs. That's our experience here in the States, and I like knowing it is common practice in Mexico as well. Because it is common sense. If someone is acting like something isn't right, chances are something isn't right.....

I do not live in Cancun and chances are I'll never get to again after all, but Cancun is forever in my heart. Like more than my home. I could go on and on, but will just say that I care very much what happens there. I constantly watch this forum, but try to stay out because my knowledge is no longer very relevant, though I have a steel trap memory of Cancun 2002. I need a refresher course!!!!!!!

3. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good point.

It does make more sense to look at the person more than the docs, as any document, even the most advanced "tamper-proof" ones can be faked, stolen, or otherwise obtained..

As for the whiteout on Rivergirl's FM3... viva Mexico! :roll:

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Some passports have things built in to them so that you can physically feel (or smell) if they are real. So agents can tell if a passport is fake without even looking at it. The agent might only glance at your passport but that doesn't mean he/she didn't examine it.

5. carrie77

carrie77 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    True. And maybe he did look at my picture... maybe he has done it so long he can be so fast. He definately was reading me more than the passport!

Thankfully Mexico does train their agents to read people. When I first crossed into Mexico, of course I stopped at Immigration to get my visa and car permiso. As I was leaving there, a guy in fatigues came over and said, 'Oye, tienes algo armas o drogas en tu carro?' I was so overwhelmed by everything it didn't register at first what he said and I said SI! Dummy me! I immediately corrected myself. He read me well and let me on my way. :lol:

6. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Furthermore it makes sense that the thieves would not bother with stealing physical files full of data. Hell, my own file probably weighs 4 kilos just by itself.

River is that for just this year, because I have an entire drawyer in my file cabint for the past six years.
    Aida and I were just there, Thursday they were closed, Friday closed and my FM3 expired, now they want more money.
    Hey anbody got any ideas for getting married to a Mexican withou going through all this "Shit" (You can send me a private email on this one)

7. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Any idea how much they charge for a renewal FM3. They may be cheaper and quicker than what I have experienced.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    bncancun the file I've got for the last 5 years of INM hassle is 4 inches thick. I'm sure I've given them more than that because they want everything in triplicate (and I'm only keeping single copies of things).

But when you file based on marriage it's basically a given that you will be approved, so I think there's less documentation required than if you file based on something else.

9. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    God, I hope so because it gets more and more every year. you should see my dininng room table now.
    If you are reading this from the U.S or Canada. GET YOUR FM3 THERE!!! :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice