Cancun: Hurricane Rina

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Oct 23, 2011.

1. CharlesinCancun

CharlesinCancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the plane coming in from Houston was full!!!! I don't those tourist knew what was coming!
    I waited out Wilma in TX but I heard tales of tourist sleeping on concrete school floors with cucharachas everywhere, using plastic sheeting for cover. also tourist trying to charge cell phones on generators and MX soldiers pointing their M16s at them yelling "NO". Cancun def does not stories like that again!!!!

2. Arizona Al

Arizona Al Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Depends how susceptible your house and immediate area is to flooding. We probably wont be doing much since we are on a slight hill and unlikely to get much water in the house.

You know where to find us if needed, we have a spare room. BYOB. Not sure how your dog will get on with our two cats though :)

4. CharlesinCancun

CharlesinCancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    just went to the grand opening of the new Chedrau Multiplaza Chac Mool by Santa Fe
    to stock up supplies , that place is HUGE!!!!
    I read in the paper there are approx. 40,000 tourist in Cancun right now , I can't imagine being on vacation and getting the news about the hurricane!!!!!

5. Sapphire

Sapphire Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No school for Wednesday, and a dry law goes into effect tomorrow night at 6pm:beer4:

6. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
  7. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    So where is V?

He's been hoping to experience a hurricane for years, now we have one he's gone awol!

8. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Problems with a computer virus has slowed me down, Steve, coupled with a quick WE trip to the states.

My feeling- not a prediction!, as it goes against what the national weather service is telling us- is that this storm will do what Ida did, and pass us somewhat out to sea, in the straights between Yucatan and Cuba.

Still, they've ordered my university closed, so I get some unscheduled days off, never a bad thing!

I heard on the news yesterday that there are currently 85,000 tourists in the hotels of Cancun and the Mayan Riviera! They are the diehards of tourism, and will not be denied!

The sun is shining at the moment, 8:10 AM, so I suggest you all get out to the beaches, now!, just in case it doesn't last....

9. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm with V, I have a feeling it will head off towards Cuba... mainly because that's what they all did last year.

Woke up to sunshine this morning and was disappointed. I'd like this baby to hurry up and be out by the weekend!

10. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: There you are! :)

I heard that the current cold front(lovely, by the way!) could help push Rina out to sea, at least a bit. Lets hope for that, to start with.

A friend whom works in one of the Oasis hotels said that evacuation will start this afternoon. Hey, at least some of them get to see downtown, aka the real Cancun, where all(most) the Forum people live. ;)

Today is a beautiful day and a LOOOONG walk to the beach with the dogs is scheduled. Furniture have been raised some 40 cm off the floor, and most of our flat is as prepared as it can be.

Now, if only my mom could stop emailing and calling every 10 mins from back home, it would all be peaches and cream, hehe. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice