Cancun Discount card

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Steve, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: Cancun 2 for 1 meal and discount tour card official rela

The posting at:
    http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12128
    (from before the hurricane) might be a bit misleading.
    From the current list it appears that a smaller number of those establishments have re-enlisted.

Thx!

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Re: Cancun 2 for 1 meal and discount tour card official rela

You're right, that's why I locked that post about a year ago and consigned it to the depths of the archives. :wink:

The link in the first post is to a page which is updated everytime something new is added or something is taken away and is the one people should pay attention to.

3. Naoautorizada

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK Everyone - we made it back from a 10-day Christmas/New Year Cancun/Isla trip and this is the first chance I've gotten to write about using Brant's 2x1 card.

The prognosis is excellent.
    We visited 6 of the 8 restaraunts he's had re-enlist, and all 6 welcomed our business and the card. (For anyone that uses the card stateside - you know that doesn't always happen)

Even though we visited 6, we only had time to eat at 2, and those were Carillos (because my wife wanted lobster and this is the only 2x1 place you're going to get it on any day you want), and Carlos & Charlies.

Let me start with one of the best experiences we've had recently, and that would be at Carrillos. The food, the drinks, the personnel, and the owner (Mr. Carrillo, who greeted us personally) were nothing but the epitome of excellence and quality. The food was great - it was as good as food can possibly be - and yet, it was still superceded by the eperience as a whole, which was just about unearthly. It was everything good that you know about Cancun all in one place at one time.

Our experience at Carlos and Charlies - although not as apostolic an experience as Carrillos, was nevertheless, still 5-star and top-notch. The food was really good, they welcomed us withour reservation with our 2x1 card, so the price was right, the manager came to personally apologize for the (very slight) delay in the arrival of our food and offered a round of drinks on the house to emphasize his sincerity (which we accepted, of course!). (Drinks are not cheap, nor small at C&C, and they probably go a long way towards covering the operating costs, so this was probably more significant than it sounds at first blush.)

Although I didn't get any pictures at C&C's, I did get some at Carrillo's and I'd like to share them here here so you'll recognize it when you see it. You see, this restaraunt is on a SIDE street (Claveles Av) which runs west off of TULUM Av (which is a main, main street downtown) - and if you're not walking down the street looking for this restaraunt, you won't find it. Claveles Av by the way is like many other small streets in downtown Cancun in that it's U-shaped, so it intersects TULUM AV in two places, and Carrillo's is on the nothernmost leg (vs the southern leg). If you take the bus and you go about 3 streets too far (north) on Tulum, you'll see the Bus Station on the same left (west) side as Claveles (and thus, Carrillos). If you're coming south on Tulum and you see the Bus Station on your right, you want to get off at the next stop and look for the street and the restaraunt.

This is what you'll see if you look down the leg of Claveles which Carrillos is on:

[​IMG]

What you're seeing in the picture is not Carrillo's by the way, but some other place that I thought might help you recognize when you've found the right street. Once you walk down the street a short distance and look to your left, you'll see

[​IMG]

Then, on closer inspection, you'll see

[​IMG]

which should pretty much confirm that you've made it to where you intended to go.

The following is our waiter having fun with us - and since you see him and my wife and me in the picture, this must be the photo taken by Mr Carrillo.

[​IMG]

Lastly, just one of the really thoughtful things that was done for us here was the singing and playing of these gentlemen while we were drinking and dining.

(And despite the fact that it appears our waiter was not shy, he was a very perfect gentleman and a full partner in contributing to the awesome experience, no matter what it may appear as in the photo <grin>!)

[​IMG]

Superb experiences - thank you Mr Carrillo and Mr Brant for making this (as well as C&Cs) both fun and affordable. My highest reccomendation to you both.

4. Naoautorizada

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    One more thing to add regarding Brant's 2x1 card:

Here's a little graphic you can use to see where the currently participating locations are at (in case you're not entirely familiar with CanCun).

Note that Come N Eat (cheap, casual, and bright) and Casa Maguey (more formal, higher end - like fillet mignon) are inside of shopping malls.

My Place is a stand-alone, also inexpensive and casual, and you'll see it on the right hand side as you enter the Convention Center area.

The Rainforest Cafe is in a huge mall, and Carlos & Charlies is a stand-alone almost next to that mall in the Convention Center Area right across from Coco Bongo and one street 'inward' towards the main drag from My Place.

The Seahorse restaraunt, one part of a strip of shops in the first floor of a single building, is on the "return' side of this street, just as you are LEAVING the Convention Center area and since the two sides of the street are both large one way thouroghfares and very far divided from each other at this point , you may not find it until you are heading back west (towards downtown) from the Convention Center.

Hopefully this will help as you fellow bargain hunters try and find these places

[​IMG]

By the way - our 2x1 card doesn't expire until the end of February and we won't be going back before then, so if someone who will be going to Cancun between now and then would be interested in sharing the cost ($7.50), I'll send them mine.

Let me know via PM here.
    Thx & C 'ya.

5. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    Thanks for the map.

I've only just spotted this 5 weeks after it was posted :oops: , but it's a great help.

6. Naoautorizada

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You're very welcome Steve... T'was the least I could do.
    Keep up the GREAT work!

7. Allsport916

Allsport916 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  8. Mike W

Mike W Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Carrillo's Lobster House NO LOBSTER

I have bought the EP card in the past and never had any problems, Great deals and great restaurants, Last night we thought ( 4 of us, 2 cards) would try Carrillo's and paid 100 pesos for a cab downtown, after Victor our waiter gave us a menu with prices (that were hand written in) and were 2x the price that is the average price on the Cancun map from Map Chick and and Peoples Choice Guide, ($19. usd ) The average price on the menu we had was $35 dollars , but we decided to stay anyway, they accepted our EP cards and brought our drinks, but when all four of us attempted to order Lobster, Victor told us "we have no Lobster " I asked maybe tomorrow ? He told us " No Lobster until next week" disappointed we paid for our drinks and left ,took another cab ride all the way to Casa Maguey where we had a great dinner ( 2 for 1 ) with excellent service. I suggest you call Carrillo's Lobster House to see if they have Lobster and expect to pay a lot more than $19 each for your dinner, if they have what you order

9. lafitte

lafitte Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How current is the participant list?

10. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,193 / 14
    This thread is very old so there may have been some changes but the list at the link below is always kept up to date:

Participating Restaurants

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice