Cancun 2007 .. slow?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Naoautorizada, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    gjp,

Since you're involved in the business end of things down there, I'd like to hear your perception of a rumor I've heard (from informed sources), which is that except for the spring breakers, 2008 has been abysmally slow in Cancun - so slow in fact that many have left to find work elsewhere, leaving hotels and restaraunts short of skilled staff - and morale is rather low.

I know that as a member of the chamber of commerce you're supposed to be a cheerleader rather than a rumormonger, but I'd like to hear what's really happening.

Send your reply private if it's not something you'd care to say in public.

Thx in Advance

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I split this one off from the myplace thread since it's a general question. (I guess you also are referring to 2007 not 2008 as you mentioned)

2007 has certainly been busier than last year and probably not far off 2005 levels. I used to have a link to official monthly occupancy rates, (I've posted it on the board several times before but couldn't find it this time). I am sure these would verify this. I'm not sure who your "informed sources" are but it might be an idea to give us some sort of clue so we can treat your comments with the appropriate degree of credibility.

Not to put anyone down, but staff that predominate by far in hotels are genrally viewed as unskilled. There is never any shortage of labour for hotel work.

Cancun is a very migratory place and there are always lots of comings and goings but I'd be pretty sure 2007 is no different to most years and far better than one year ago.

3. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Steve - that sort of thing is good to know and given that you're in the midst of it as well, perhaps my informed sources are speaking from some perspective I've not learned how to interpret properly.

In this case, they are travel agent types that work for large organizations, such as universities, hospitals, credit unions - people that put together packages for large semi-captive operations, and who have indicated that:

1. They've had to re-assign several of their employees from being focused on Cancun to different venues like cruise ships and such, and

2. In Mexico, Cabo is rapidly advancing on Cancun in terms of interest and popularity

(And don't it blame me whether it's true or not... I'm asking because I'm looking for a second opinion from those with their hands right in it.)

Thx!

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I just kind of wondered whether you'd heard from Jose the kitchen porter or the Director of Tourism .... or somewhere in between :lol:

Seems like the people that have been reassigned are not localy living hotel staff like porters, waiters, maids etc which is whom I thought you were referring to. There are many factors that could affect a business even a big one, not least the fact that confidence to book online and the number of outlets offering same increases vastly year on year.

Certainly Cabo is growing in popularity, I wonder though if this is at the expense of places such as Acapulco and other West coat resorts. Cancun is always going to be a draw over Cabo in one respect and that is it's location in serving much of the highly populated Easterrn US within a few hours flight.

5. Bama-fan

Bama-fan Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I too was wandering if it was slow this year, I heard on the news a few weeks ago that spring breakers were spending less time in Cancun due to the price increase of Airfare. Our last 3 vacation packages of 7 nights at the Oasis Playa averaged $1600 U.S. + tax from Atlanta, last month, the same package was $2598 U.S. + tax. That is a big increase, and we decided not to go unless the prices came down considerably, the price dropped to $2058 on April 1st and we booked it. We would love to vacation in Cancun every year, but price IS the deciding factor, and if it's not within our means, we'll just drive to Florida, and the airlines can kiss our a$$.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Forgive me for not being able to provide hard stats (no energy to dig them up at this hour) but my understanding is that Spring Breakers, in reality, represent just a small percentage of the travelers who come to Cancun and the Riviera Maya.

Everyone thinks of Cancun as a Spring Break destination, but the reality is that most people coming here are not Spring Breakers, and many businesses here are perfectly happy to focus on a slightly classier (read older and wealthier) type of clientèle.

If Cancun drops in popularity as a Spring Break destination the businesses will adjust and refocus their businesses on the people who do come. And many of us won't miss the Spring Breakers.

I do know for a fact that the sheer number of tourists coming to this area is growing substantially each year (Wilma affect aside). Cancun's is the 2nd busiest airport in the country, and this State, Quintana Roo, has one of the healthiest economies in the whole country (which does nothing to explain the potholes in the streets near my house...).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice