Canadian Prime Minister speaks out

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by NormsKid, Mar 20, 2008.

1. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  2. Waste

Waste Moderator Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    She was a personal chef for the CEO of an investment firm. Just before the CEO was charged with fraud and money laundering, Martin was fired and given a huge severance package. The money in the severance package was used to finance the CEOs new venture, which was shut down within a few months and he was charged again and is now serving time in one of the Carolinas.

She took an extended vacation ("fled") to Mexico and was picked up there on money laundering and fraud charges as well. She's been held for 2 years without trial and claims she's innocent and didn't know the companies she had worked for were doing anything illegal, even though the CEO has been linked to organized crime.

My guess is she's being held in Mexico under a US request until the US can figure out how to deal with her. There's articles throughout Canadian papers. A quick search will give you way more information than you probably want.

In this case, I think guilty until proven innocent is just.

3. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the added info.....I'll do some searching around the net for more.

Michelle

4. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i find it interestin that this is the first ive heard of this until last week or so.

why didnt anyone know before. why was it so quiet for two years?

its definately sad for sure. but i find the canadian government is doing crap about it

5. Waste

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    because she's guilty. if she were innocent, it would be all over the news.

6. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ahh this is true...

7. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually there are more people following this case than you think. I for one have been following it for a while and so have many other expats living in Mexico.

8. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This has been in the press for a while now, I first wrote about it here.....
    http://www.cancuncanuck.com/2008/01/canuck-in-mexican-jail.html

And more recently here...
    http://www.cancuncanuck.com/2008/03/canuck-in-mexican-jail-hospitalized.html

It's a political play, a power thing between the two countries (in my humble opinion). The authorities here screwed up, the authorities in Canada haven't done enough to help fix the screw up and a woman sits in jail not charged with any crime but living with convicted criminals.

As Liz said, those of us that live here have known about this for some time now and have been trying to follow the story. I for one have been trying to follow it without all the commentary from my fellow Canadians who know nothing about Mexico yet feel as though they can scream "boycott" and it will all get better or rant about this "backwards" country. No, it isn't perfect but you cannot compare the justice system to the US or Canada, it's just different.

Should something be done? Yes. Will it get done? I highly doubt it but I hope for Brenda Martin's sake that she gets the help she needs.

9. Waste

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice