Can VOIP work well in Cancun? (speed test inside)

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by MartinLovesLori, Nov 20, 2009.

1. MartinLovesLori

MartinLovesLori Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well Im glad my thread might have created a need to contact your ISP and get free upgrades and better quality of surfing. we know any improvement is a good thing, and after further internet sleuthing i have discovered that Skype or MajicJack both run while on a phone call only 80-90kb/s. So .08 - .09mb/s.

By those numbers technically it should be feasible to run my business.

I might consider both Telmex and Cablemas. One service strictly for Work and VOIP, and the other service for Surfing and fun. There will be a total of 4 people living in our 2 bedroom suite. ( which we are currently look for a place )

And for those wondering what the business is?

We would be on the phone most of the day, Outbound and inbound contacting business' in Canada, getting them signed up for getting there business hosted and ranked on Google, MSN, and yahoo. We offer First Page results in 3 days, and charge either a monthly or yearly fee to maintain your placement. :D

2. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well in that case, that makes paying for the 4mb connection pretty pointless if there will be no 8mb doubling up as the maximum you can get is 4mb so don't pay anymore than 599 pesos a month. I just don't know whether to say to them and end up upgrading to 2mb to get the 4mb but then knowing my luck it won't happen and i'll be paying 100 pesos a month more for nothing extra, although i suppose i could always change it back, say i'm not happy with the service?

3. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You mean you can pay you UK credit card online using your Mexican bank account or debit card? Because that would be very helpful, would mean i could get a loan in England without having to pay for transferring the money every single month from bank to bank? I doubt this is possible though?

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    No, I pay my UK credit card via my UK bank account, all online. I do as little banking as feasibly possible here.

I think you'll have a tough time getting an unsecured loan from the UK while living here though.

5. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was planning on either securing it against the house or my bank said they would give me up to a certain amount of thousands, even when i lost my job in the UK but that would probably be different now.

See the problem with paying it like that is that you have to have a regular income going into the UK bank account and with my luck on my flat, i can't guarantee that and would end up having to pay transfer fees and losing out with poor interest rates.

I still reckon they'd charge me 1600 pesos to change credit cards to be honest, so probably wouldn't help, thanks for the info though mate :)

6. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Yeah you should be Ok for a secured loan if you still have property there.

I'm fortunate in that I have many different income sources rather than one, so I can choose which accounts they are paid into and change them around as necessary without incurring transfer fees.

7. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    SEO, interesting!

First page in 3 days is ambitious/impressive, suppose it depends what keywords you're targeting though.

8. MartinLovesLori

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes it depends greatly on keywords. for the price you only get 1 keyword phrase to make you at the top, every other keyword cost 40% of the cost of the first keyword.

Lets say:

Septic tank repair Vancouver BC cost 1500/year

Septic tank service Vancouver BC cost only 600/year extra if added to the agreement.

Both guarantee first page results or you dont pay a dollar.

Win Win Win.

9. Steve

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    That's quite a nice little business.

With the keywords being long tail and fairly uncompetitive it makes it easy to rank first page for them. Although search volume will be low, the searches that are made will be localised and extremely well targeted for the businesses concerned.

My only concern were I a potential customer would be that PPC might well work out cheaper and be equally as effective. But I dont expect your average septic tank repairer knows much about PPC :)

10. MartinLovesLori

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It doesnt pray on the weak, but It markets small to medium business for Local or/and Walk-in style business'.

The approach being, (research the market your calling, use google adwords to determine the monthly hits for that search criteria), and share your results, and how much potential business that customer is missing out on.

The approach works well with companies who have no web presence at all..

Internet? whats the Internet?

who really uses the Yellowpages anymore to look stuff up? Its google all the way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice