Can VOIP work well in Cancun? (speed test inside)

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by MartinLovesLori, Nov 20, 2009.

1. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay so you think this will be my permanent speed? Am i therefore better off to upgrade to the 2mb line, thus giving me a 4mb connection? It's only 100mb a more a month and if i pay 500 more for the 4mb, i'm not likely to get an 8mb connection, am i?

2. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve - seeing that you have a 2mb connection, can you do another speed test for us and see if you get the 4mb?

3. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is the connection at our house.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I pay ours via a UK credit card and then just pay that online. If you've still got a UK card then use that, I couldnt ever bring myself to use a Mexican issued credit card.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    [​IMG]

Nope, 2 Megs here. Will get Jannet to call them this afternoon though. Doesnt seem fair we're paying twice the price as Mixz for half the speed.

When we first moved here there was either 512Kb or 1 Mb, we paid for the 1 Mb which got upgraded to 2Mb a couple of years back. The cost has always been the same, but I guess if we'd gone for the 512 option I'd be on 2Mb by now at half the price.

6. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Two years ago when everyone was getting the free upgrade we were the last ones to get it. It took several calls to Telmex for them to upgrade us.

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just don't mention my name :D. I'm confident that you will get the increase. They seem to be doing it by neighborhood, with the ZH having gone first, no social commentary intended :D :D .

8. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Your right Steve, it's not fair if your paying twice the amount for no reason. If you look at the account options on that link someone posted, you can get 2mb at 599, which should in theory upgrade to 4mb for free?

The big question is, does 4mb upgrade to 8mb, does anyone have an actual 4mb account they pay for to test this? I just don't want to end up paying 1000 pesos a month and find it's the same speed i can get for 599 pesos, surely they will end up with a ton of complaints? I'm a bit unsure what to do now? I might get the wife to mention that people on 2mb are reporting 4mb speeds and see what they say about it, obviously not mentioning names.

Anyone gets any further info please report back.

Have to say i'm well pleased at being on 2mb, i'm downloading at 212kb a second, now i should finally be able to stream football for more than 3 seconds at a time! Stick that in your pipe Fox and choke on that smoke, with your crap Barcelona/Real Madrid biased coverage, bring back ESPN! (Sorry i went into one again, off topic, ignore me!)

9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seeing Mexican internet speeds makes me miss our internet back home in Sweden :(

Now I pay 365 mxp for a lousy 1mb (Infinitum - telmex) *sighs* :(

Does anyone with some insight know if higher speeds are on their way to Mex?

Dont laugh, but I mean within a reasonable cost :)

10. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    8 Mb is not going to happen soon, or at all. Period. If you're paying for a 2 Mb line, you will get upgraded to 4 Mb...eventually (as Manuel said to Basil Fawlty). You''re not going to see 8 Mb, especially if Telmex goes forward with their fiber plans, as that would undercut the impetus to upgrade to fiber.

There's another consideration here too. In the states, for the first time, ISPs are starting to take note of accounts doing large uploads. Verizon, Comcast, Tme Warner and others are batting about the idea of metered Internet. People who have residential accounts and have large upload volumes are either serving from their residences or performing commercial services, which are both violations of the TOS (terms of service) and can get bounced, blocked or switched to higher, business-based rates. Hopefully this idea hasn't settled in Slim's evil brain...yet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice