Can VOIP work well in Cancun? (speed test inside)

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by MartinLovesLori, Nov 20, 2009.

1. MartinLovesLori

MartinLovesLori Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can Cancun Members please login here http://www.speedtest.net/ and do a speed test and post up your results?

I am wanting to move my Business to mexico for 6 months to 1 year , and was curious if it is feasible in Cancun.

I am paying about 25/month for 20mb/s account here in Vancouver BC.

And Curious what you pay, and what performance you get.

thanks everyone.

[​IMG]

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    A possible welcome to the World of high cost low speed Internet!

My account is 2 Megs, cost is around 1000 pesos a month together with the phone package.

Never used VOIP but here's my results:

[​IMG]

3. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    See this recent thread for several results:
    http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43828&start=0

Internet here is slower and more expensive than the US and I'm sure Canada. The best residential service I've seen is 4 MB/s -- through Telmex it's > $50 USD per month.

As for VoIP -- I have a magic jack which I use for calls back to the US. The quality is at best acceptable and at times terrible. For personal calls, that isn't a big deal. Running a business around it though...I wouldn't want to do it. I don't know how much of that is dependent on MJ's quality or the internet quality though, so Vonage or similar might be a better option.

Edit: Damn Steve, you are fast.
    Edit 2: 100 pesos Steve??? Who do you use?

4. MartinLovesLori

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Even Me using your Mexican server from Canada yields the same results:

[​IMG]

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    That's with Prodigy. And oops I edited my post, missed a zero off should have read 1000 pesos.

6. coby

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Right, you're only going to get the speed of the weakest link in the chain. That weak link is going to be the whole of Mexico :) One could rant about conspiracies on whether the pipes are speed throttled (my guess) or whether the infrastructure truly can't handle spreading out more bandwidth, but the basic gist is, 4 MB/s is probably going to be the fastest you can get here and true speeds will be a good deal less. Someone in the other thread has a pretty good speed from a business line, but I don't know how to go about getting such a thing. I assume commercial accounts like that get priority in the pipes and/or isolated lines to run through.

@Steve: Ok, thanks! I was getting ready to make some phone calls :D

7. MartinLovesLori

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok so residential internet providers offer 4mb/second.... Is there anyway to get higher? Paying upwards of 150-200US amonth I can handle, since it is a necessity for work.

8. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Must be nice. I'm paying 30 something for ONE down and 0.1 up....

The upload is what kills you.. it takes HOURS to send emails with pictures.... and forget about downloading movies and such unless you have a few days to let it run full blast....

If you search the forum you will find numerous posts with us all complaining about how pathetic and overpriced the service is. Even if you get a satellite Internet service and bring it down you're still crippled by the up-link speed...

What sort of business do you have?

If it involves uploading lots of content to the internet, you'll have problems. If its mainly emails and phone calls you might be ok. My friend uses packet8.net phone service and has for years. Its not perfect but its MUCH better than the magicjack service or vontage. You might consider getting the DSL service from Telmex, and also get the cable internet service from Cablemas, that way you're reasonably sure to always have one working.. (although they share some connections so they both go off-line if thats the issue). Mexico boasts some of the highest telcom prices in the world, so be prepared for that if you make the move.

PS: YEARS ago in the late 90's I was an early adopter of cable internet in the States.. back when the modems were "uncapped" I remember seeing speed over 100mb/s and thinking WOW.. and it will only get faster in the future :)... BOY was I wrong about that!!!!! :roll:

9. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Last I checked that "high" speed was in the neighborhood of $200 usd.... and still had a piss poor upload of 512 kbps

10. coby

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The best residential internet TelMex offered in our area is 4 MB/s -- coupled with phone the package is 999 MXP monthly, but I was told I could get just the internet (which is all I wanted) for like 799 MXP or something like that. That's from an office visit last month.

Curiously, I just checked their website (which has the same offers they gave us in the office) and it says the max speed is now 5 MB/s and still 999 MXP in package form:
    http://www.telmex.com/mx/hogar/paquetes/paquete-conectes-comparar.html

I asked about the business packages, and they are not superior in any way in terms of internet speed. They had a dedicated access plan though, and supposedly offered E3 at 32 MB/s -- but! they said I couldn't get it in the house here and wouldn't even give me the price. I tried to convince them I was opening an office and thus wanted to know the price on it for that, but they still wouldn't give me the information. My searches have turned up nothing on this service :(

And yeah, I didn't upgrade from 2 to 4 MB/s simply because the upload was still terrible and I need like a 10-20x increase.

Edit: Found 'some' info on the direct line from TelMex: http://www.telmex.com/mx/empresa/internet/directo-empresarial-comparar.html
    Doesn't give the price exactly, but says starting at 1,883 MXP although I'm sure thats for the 2 MB/s dedicated, not the 32 MB/s. It also mentions a 155 MB/s connection which just made my mind explode with how expensive that would be here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice